New archery class hits fun bullseye

Michael Ortega-Portillo ’21

Student Kyle Pan ’21 takes aim while archery teacher Colleen O’Rourke carefully monitors his technique.

Michael Ortega-Portillo ’21, Staff Reporter

Archery is a new enrichment class at Riordan, consisting of eight students, and while that may not seem to be the ideal number, it offers enough shooting time for everyone to have a go. They practice shooting arrows onthe field and have fun doing it.

Science Department Chair Colleen O’Rourke and Assistant Band Instructor Edwin Serrano teach archery. O’Rourke said she created the class because she grew up practicing archery and wanted to give an opportunity to Riordan boys. She wanted to give the students in the club more practicebefore takingthem on field trip to the Pacifica archery field.

O’Rourke said, “They seem to like it a lot! It’s pretty low-key at  the moment as the students learn how to handle the bow and play around with the best forms, but hopefully we can introduce some more competitive aspects of target shooting next semester.”

Juan Rojas ’21 said, “I enjoygoing out on the field shooting arrows with my friends. I find it relaxing.”

There are other benefits aswell. “Target sports take patience and focus, which are excellent skills to practice in our busy world,” said O’Rourke. “I also try to incorporate brief sessions of meditation in each class to help practice avoiding distractions and just being in the moment.”

While Riordan Archery is not going to be in tournaments, O’Rourke is enthusiastic for the future of archery.