Blessed Adele ascends one step closer to sainthood

MarianistPulse.com

Blessed Adele, founder of the Daughters of Mary, is one step closer to sainthood.

Jamar Kittling ’20, Staff Reporter

As the founder of the Society of Mary and Chaminade’s trustful partner, Venerable Adele de Batz de Trenquelleon earns her place as one of the pivotal figures in Christendom and has ascended one step closer to sainthood.

Adele was of noble birth, born in the wealthy Trenquelleon family on June 10, 1789. However, Adele, like Chaminade and many other Catholics born in France during this time, was subject to the pandemonium and terror of the French Revolution.

The Baron, Adele’s father and an official in the King’s royal guard, was exiled while she was only 2. Shortly after, in 1797, Adele and the rest of her family were exiled to Spain. It would be years before they were united again in France.

In her teenage years, Adele became intrigued by the Carmelites, a religious order that focuses on prayer, community, and contemplation. Inspired by the Carmelite practices, Adele created her own prayer community at age 15.

Although this “Small Association” had humble beginnings, membership gradually expanded to 200 people. This group focused around spiritual growth and preparing for a good death, for this was a time of uncertainty for many in the Catholic faith.

Eventually, Adele’s activity was discovered by the pragmatist, Chaminade. Both leaders had hopes of expanding their communities. The resignation of Napoleon and the death of The Baron in 1814 gave Adele the freedom to pursue this hope, and two years later it finally came to fruition. The Daughters of Mary was founded in 1816 with its main goals being to support others spiritually and continue Mary’s mission of bringing Christ to the world.

Canonization is a multifaceted process that has many steps, requirements, and procedures. Although the Marianist family has been accustomed to addressing Adele as venerable, this term is in fact outdated as Adele rose to the next rank, blessed.

In order for someone to be given that title they must be beatified, which requires the figure to be solely attributed to a miracle that lacks scientific explanation.

In Adele’s case, this requirement was met with the miraculous healing of Sister Michela Messina of the Daughters of Mary in Novara, Italy. The miracle was investigated in 2013 and beatification was finally approved on May 4, 2017.

As of June 10 of this year, after 32 years of holding the title venerable, Blessed Adele de Batz de Trenquelleon has officially been beatified by the Catholic Church.

Alex Datoc, Campus Ministry Director, commented on Adele’s beatification.

“It’s really good for the Marianist family. If Blessed Adele or Chaminade become saints, it will be the first saints in the Marianist community.”

Although it would take another miracle, the Marianists eagerly wait for Adele to be canonized and rise to the highest rank of sainthood.