Admissions adjusts avenue to enrollment

Photo provided by David Lin ’99

Admissions Director Danny Curtin, Principal Tim Reardon, and Counselor David Lin visited Hong Kong to recruit students.

Liam Peace ’19, Staff Reporter

Admissions is the process of allowing new people to enter an organization, institution, or place who bring new ideas and solutions benefitting the particular community in question.

Each organization has different ways of going about it, but all of them are in pursuit of the same goal: to bring newfound perspectives, diversity, and advanced abilities.

Each individual undergoing admissions in any place must prove his ethics, values, passion, and commitment to his occupation, ultimately placing him above others who lack these important components.

Archbishop Riordan High School, an esteemed, academic, and athletically recognized all boys school, has recently undergone many changes in its traditional admissions routine of the past.

As these different admission techniques are put in place, there is still the commonality of searching for young men who emphasize their values and hardwork, benefitting the school and their respected communities as a whole.

Admissions Director Danny Curtin ’08 applies himself daily to help benefit the school and make it a better place by looking for individuals who stand out amongst the crowd.

He said, “I look for a student who is motivated, likes to get involved, a good citizen, and someone who teachers enjoy teaching.”

All of these traits represent the school accordingly, and have remained consistent since the school was founded in 1949. But as time continues, change progresses, and while the results are similar to the past, the methods of going about it have a different mold.

To gain not only more diversity, but also an increased amount of viewpoints, Riordan’s recruiting outreach has now expanded outside the realm of San Francisco, bringing new talents and hardworking young men.

Another new change that has been put in place recently is group evaluations, where students in the application process are reviewed by competing and working together in different scenarios, displaying their skills of working on a team, as well as problem solving skills that are applicable to the real world that transcend to their studies.

Curtin said questions include, “What is this student going to be like in the classroom, what is he going to be like working with new people and in situations where they are uncomfortable?”

This is important, as adaptability to one’s surroundings creates a physical intelligence in its own way, by determining the issue at hand, then creating a technique with what materials have been given to the student to solve the problem.