Students savor Roxie’s favorite sandwiches

Nathan Loeffler Malatesta '23, Staff Reporter

Roxies, a convenience store, located on 1901 San Jose Avenue, and famous for its deli sandwiches throughout San Francisco, is changing ownership after 45 years in the business. 

The Tannous brothers, Peter, Simon and Tony, all icons of the restaurant business in San Francisco, have been active, supportive community members ever since they came to San Francisco in 1975. 

Roxie’s variety of sandwiches is astounding; they have the classics, including but not limited to, the BLT, the Turkey Club, and the Pastrami Sub, yet also have community specials like the Tony Tri-Tip, the Simon special, and the Roxies Special. 

I decided to get one of their oldest and one of their classic subs, the BLT, which consists of bacon, lettuce, and tomato, along with the usual toppings of onions, hot peppers, and pickles. The BLT, which I had on a soft roll, was beyond outstanding. It is undoubtedly the best sandwich I’ve ever had, as the sandwich was packed with delicious bacon, crisp, thinly cut iceberg lettuce, and creamy avocado, which was complimented perfectly with the fresh savory toppings. 

With Roxie’s changing ownership, customers will remember that Tannous family name is marked with respect, hard work, and everlasting love from the community and that their legacy will continue to live on with the next generation of owners.