In n Out vaccine compliance called into question

William Lenoyr Ortiz ‘22

In-N-Out was cited by the city health department for failing to comply with city guildines in regards to the indoor dining vaccination mandate.

William Lenoyr Ortiz, News Editor

Despite receiving many warnings from San Francisco’s health department, one of California’s most well known burger chains, In-n-Out, had one of its restaurants shut down on Oct. 14 after failing multiple times to follow the city’s indoor vaccination mandate. 

Located in San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf, this In-n-Out location had reportedly not been checking the vaccination cards of customers who dined inside the restaurant.

Since August of this year, the city has required full proof of vaccination in order to enter public spaces, including bars, and restaurants. City officials first visited the restaurant after receiving a nonemergency 311 complaint about the restaurant not following the mandate.

It has been reported that public health officials had warned the In-N-Out location several times about following the vaccination mandate, though the restaurant did not comply.10

“It surprised me to hear that In -N – Out was not checking vaccine cards as it was a mandate,” said Cole Anderson ’22, one of Riordan’s student body presidents and current In-n-Out employee at one of their Daly City locations. “It is upsetting to hear that they closed down because it hurts the company but it protects the community.”

This isn’t purely out of randomness, however. In-n-Out has now had a history of going against health officials and laws all across California in the past, such as in Contra Costa, and now increasing the tension after this incident in their San Francisco location. 

Anderson added, “I think it is unsafe to be against something that is made to protect our community as a whole. I think that it could have been done, being that they always have someone posted in the dining room.”

In-N-Out’s Chief Legal and Business Officer, Arnie Wensinger, has spoken out about this incident and has stated that they “refuse to become the vaccination police for any government.” The company argues that it is not fair for the government to ask private businesses to enforce the vaccine mandate, and how it is a form of government overreach. 

Health officials have tried to assure restaurants and citizens that many businesses are following the mandate, and they want to emphasize the effectiveness of the regulations during the pandemic.

Anderson adds, “I think In n Out should be doing a better job since we pride ourselves on being the best and serving the best quality.”