Girls soccer fields strong team with senior leaders

Ryan Garcia

Isabella Brenes ’22 moves past two Oceana players in a recent home game. The Crusaders won 6-0 in this contest.

Edward Ramos, Religion Editor

The 2021-2022 girls soccer team at Riordan has finally completed a full season of unhindered play.

When speaking with India Bowles ’23, the co-captain of the team this year, she said that her teammates “were really excited to be able to put into practice skills they learned last year for competition this year.”

After having opportunity after opportunity taken away from them due to health  concerns last year, girls soccer was ready to continue to put in the work. According to “Crusader Strong,” the official instagram for strength and conditioning at Archbishop Riordan, the group of players trained twice a week throughout the winter and plan to continue to do so throughout the spring and possibly the summer. 

Despite some setback losses (which is to be expected from a fairly new team), this training paid off, which can be seen when reflecting on the 7-0 win against Gateway High School and the 6-0 win against Oceana High School. 

Bowles touched on this point, saying, “As we are currently in the off-season, I would just say every player intending to play next season should be training during this time.” Following up with her goals she stated, “I hope we continue the momentum we started this past season with girls who are willing to work hard and be a part of a supportive team.”

Isabella Brenes, Caroline Cooper, Carmen Perez, and Victoria Maguire were the only four graduating seniors who played their final game on Jan. 28 of this year. The lack of presence from seniors allowed for younger players to step up and show their commitment to the sport. Out of the 19 varsity spots on the roster, 12 of them were filled by freshmen or sophomores. 

Through young player development it is possible that a bright future awaits the girls soccer program because experience is everything. 

Freshmen who played this season have three complete years to hone their craft through strength training and continued experience which allows them to contribute to the recently founded, up and coming program. So, girls soccer, along with many other activities at Riordan, once again gives Crusaders another glimpse of hope and something to be optimistic about in the school community.