Students lock in renewed mullet look

Jameson Datoc '23

Edward Ramos ’23, Antonio Evangelista ’23, and Sebastian Elsner ’23 all sport a version of the mullet hairstyle, which was popularized in 1980s, but has made a comeback in recent years for appearance and functionality.

Bo Wyatt '24, Staff Reporter

The iconic mullet, called business-in-the-front, party-in- the-back, has been around for hundreds of years, and can be seen trending throughout different eras.

Although dating back to Ancient Greece, the mullet ascended to fame in the 1980s in America, and became a staple of pop culture. Having recently seen a resurgence in popularity, the mullet now is celebrated across the country through the USA Mullet Championship.

Starting in 2020 as the Michigan Mud Flap Contest, this national ranking of the best mullets is split into three age groups, child, teen and adult, and is determined based on the quality of cut, maintenance and overall appearance of who has the best mullet.

Overall, the mullet serves as imagery for American culture, and has grown to be a famous form of expression.

It attracts a variety of competitors, and has multiple divisions and awards, including a cash price of $2,500 for the adult winner.

The adult winner hasn’t been determined yet, and although within this competition, the traditional mullet is celebrated, a modernized, fashion-forward adaptation has emerged recently.

Shane Dillon ’25, who received a more traditional mullet from his friend said that the purpose is to look “Slick,” and his inspiration behind getting one was “Most of my rugby team has one.”Instead of the drastic difference in the front and back, the newer version has more of a gradual fade, and the proportions are easier for hairstylists to perfect. It elevates the style chic, allowing it to return to the media in the 21st century.

Gavin Maguire ’25, who sported a shorter mullet, stated the process was relatively easy, and it’s “Not only for appearance, but also functionality.”

Overall, the mullet serves as imagery for American culture, and has grown to be a famous form of expression.

Sebastian Elsner ’23 said, “During 2020 my hair got really long and the hair near my ears really bugged me so I just got my hair cut there, and I got used to this so that’s why I have it today.”

In regards to the trend, he said, “I do think they made a comeback, but I don’t think it will last much longer.”