Kairos commemorates 40 years of life-changing experiences

Joseph Zuloaga '23

Seniors, teachers, counselors, and alumni leaders participated in four Kairos retreats this year, first with Fall Kairos #107.

Joseph Zuloaga '23, Editor in Chief

Kairos, a storied Riordan tradition for seniors, is commemorating 40 years this spring.

Campus Ministry has expanded the program since the spring of 1983, beginning with just one retreat per year, to now this year being the first with four Kairos retreats for seniors to embark on–Kairos #107, #108, #109, #110.

Michael Vezzali-Pascual ’88, who attended Fall Kairos #10 in the fall of 1987 and a frequent Kairos faculty leader, highlighted the unique level of encountering and sharing that occurs at every Kairos. 

The second Kairos retreat of the year: Fall Kairos #108. (Campus Ministry)

“Each Kairos I have led is special and different because the people are different.” He commended students for having the “willingness to courageously open up and share their lives with one another.”

While all that happens on Kairos can not be shared, current seniors did share a snippet of their experiences from their respective Kairos retreats this school year.

From Fall Kairos #107, Kaya Manglona ’23 stated, “It was the best experience I’ve ever had, but what made it really special was that my best friend went with me so we could share that experience with each other.”

Emmanuel Lopez ’23 added, “Kairos was life changing, and everyone there was really nice, caring, and extremely supportive of each other.”

The third Kairos retreat of the year: Winter Kairos #109. (Campus Ministry)

From Fall Kairos #108, Mandy Chung ’23 recalled, “Everything about Kairos was special: the people, the memories, and the experiences we all shared.”

“Kairos gave me an opportunity to reconcile with myself, with others, and to create more bonds with new people,” Alex Robinson ’23 added. 

From Winter Kairos #109, Oscar Hernandez ’23 noted the special aspect of being able to connect with people in unique ways. 

Angelina Ning ’23 said, “Through Kairos, I was able to get close with many new people and it was nice to hear many funny anecdotes from others in conversations.”

The fourth and final Kairos retreat of the year: Spring Kairos #110. (Campus Ministry)

With Spring Kairos #110 returning after press time, , the legacy of Kairos carries on and will continue to impact many more generations of Crusaders, with Vezzali adding that “Kairos has the power to transform lives and relationships.”

A recommendation from all of these seniors and many more: Go to Kairos.

Spring Kairos #110 made history as the first Kairos retreat to have all girl student leaders. (Campus Ministry)