Strength in brotherhood

The+Class+of+2023+gathered+in+the+Crusader+Forum+on+Freshman+Orientation+Day+in+2019.+

Steven Rissotto '20

The Class of 2023 gathered in the Crusader Forum on Freshman Orientation Day in 2019.

Edward Ramos '23, Campus News Editor

Archbishop Riordan High School in San Francisco was a staple for single-gender education since it first opened its doors in 1949. For decades, the all-boys school produced some of the most talented and accomplished men in the Bay Area. But in 2019, that all changed.

For the first time, Archbishop Riordan admitted women to the school, ushering in a new era of co-education. The class of 2023 is the last class to experience the all-boys era at Riordan, and for many students, this transition was both exciting and bittersweet.

While the school’s decision to become coeducational in 2020 has undoubtedly brought many benefits, the boys of the last all-boys class can’t help but feel a sense of nostalgia for the unique bond they shared.

“What I remember most, is the all boys brotherhood … we were more intertwined and ourselves,” said Lorenzo Caniglia ’23

“When I think back to my freshman year, I remember there being a certain sense of relaxed familiarity,” said Lance Givant ’23. “It felt like there was a unique bond that came with the Riordan brotherhood. We were all guys going through the same things, so we could relate to one another a little bit more.”

Playing in the Riordan band with his brothers, Givant stated, “We were hot, tired, and hoarse, but we were hot, tired, and hoarse together.” 

There was a brotherhood at Riordan that was really special.

— Jameson Datoc ’23

Jacob Kleppin ’23 echoed this sentiment, noting that the school felt different during the all-boys years. “We were able to talk to each other and have different conversations than what we can now,” he said. 

Amarae Moises ’23 spoke about the close relationships that formed between students in an all-boys school. “The brotherhood that was talked about and introduced by the school was most definitely true,” he said. 

He also misses the experience of an all-boys school, saying that “having classes with all of his friends/brothers was a different feeling than with a coed class.” 

His favorite memory was playing for his freshman basketball team and the brotherhood he formed with his teammates.

“Having practice with them every day after school and going to school together on the bus was what I cherish and miss the most.”

It felt like there was a unique bond that came with the Riordan brotherhood.

— Lance Givant ’23

Isiah Chala ’23 added, “Everyone knew each others’ problems and what everybody was going through,” he said. “That created a strong brotherhood that couldn’t be broken.”

But it wasn’t just the sense of community that made the all-boys years special. Many of the boys also miss the fun-spirited learning environment that came with having classes filled with their peers. 

“I miss the experience of an all-boys school,” said Michael Buck ’23. “Knowing that I’m going to spend the next four years with my brothers was great for my learning.”

“There was a brotherhood at Riordan that was really special,” said Jameson Datoc ’23. “We all looked out for each other and had each other’s backs. It was a tight-knit community.”

For some, the memories that stand out are the shared experiences of sports and extracurriculars. Nick Yates ’23 treasures the moments he spent with his friends after school on Ocean Avenue, free from the worries of the world.

Despite missing certain aspects of the single-gender culture, many students agreed that the transition to a co-ed school has been a positive one.

“I think it’s great that Riordan is finally a coed school,” said Mario Gutierrez ’23. “It’s important for us to learn how to work and interact with people of all genders. It prepares us for the real world.”

Connor Canniffe ‘23 said, “Having girls at the school has definitely changed the dynamic, but in a good way. It’s made us more aware of our behavior and how we treat others. I think it’s made us better people.”

As the last all-boys class prepares to graduate, they look back on their time at Riordan with a sense of fondness and gratitude. 

“The whole year was my favorite memory,” said Chala. “We walked in with open arms and had the most fun ever.”

The whole year was my favorite memory.

— Isiah Chala '23

These seniors hold a special place in the school’s history, offering memories that portray a glimpse into a time when the school was just for boys, and the bonds of brotherhood were especially strong. While Riordan may have changed since then, the memories of that year will remain with these seniors for the rest of their lives.