Lacrosse team attacks short season with courage

Sophia Carrasquilla '22

Members of the team strike a pose during practice on campus.

Riordan’s Lacrosse team had one of the shorter seasons out of all the spring sports programs. The team only played three games, two against Washington High School in Fremont and one against Carlmont High School in Belmont. 

The Crusaders lost the first two games, 6-5 to Washington and 12-9 to Carlmont, but capped off the season finale with a win back at Washington, 10-4. 

Head Varsity Lacrosse Coach Brooks Thoroughgood reflected on what made this season unique, saying, “The obvious. Covid. We only played one-fifth of our usual season. Our preparation for the season was very short and we really didn’t know we were going to have a season till the last minute and recruiting was nonexistent. But we rose to the occasion and played through.”

Through all the ups and downs, there is always something to be proud of at the end of the season. Luca Ricci ’22 said,  “What I liked about this year’s team was the spirit and hard work that everyone brought to the field each day despite all the regulations and complications of having a season during Covid. One thing I do hope to see for next year would be a home game for us to play.”

What I liked about this year’s team was the spirit and hard work that everyone brought to the field each day.

— Luca Ricci ’22

There is always room for improvement after any season. One thing Coach Thoroughgood wants to improve on is “more recruiting from the players. Fundamentals can be taught, but I need interested athletes to join the program and that starts with returning players finding those hidden athletes.”

Nicholas Martinez ’22 said, “Something I would take out of this lacrosse season would be our determination. Even though we only had three games, we showed a lot of progress in all positions of the field.” 

He concluded by saying “I can’t wait for next season and see what we do then.”