End of an Era

Mercy Sisterhood

Jameson Datoc '23

The final class of Mercy San Francisco students gathered for a photo two weeks before graduation.

Hoorain Farooq '25, Sports Features Editor

In 2019, with Mercy High San Francisco, an all girls school, shutting down, Archbishop Riordan High School, an all boys school, opened its doors for female students.

Welcoming the female transfers, primarily from the soon to be closed Mercy High School, Riordan faced a transition into co-
education.

This year, the graduating Class of 2023 includes members of the last class of Mercy girls who transferred to Riordan and experienced the progression as it adjusted to a co-education.

As it comes time for these girls to bid farewell, they reminisced back on their journey as transfers and throughout their
years at Riordan.

Odalis Alvarez ’23 shared how it still feels unreal to be at Riordan. “I always imagined I would stay at Mercy and continue my special programs. She included, “I was super excited to be the first coed sophomore class in the school’s history.”

It was comforting being able to transfer with the majority of the Mercy class because we all knew each other and it wasn’t like we were doing it all alone, we had each other as support.

— Leslie Nunez '23

Leslie Nunez ’23 stated, “It was comforting being able to transfer with the majority of the Mercy class because we all knew each other and it wasn’t like we were doing it all alone, we had each other as support.”

She added, “It’s a bittersweet feeling being part of the last class of Mercy. It’s crazy to think that there’s no more Mercy classes after us.”

Jaylene Villar ’23 feels surreal graduating. She said, “Honestly, it hasn’t hit me yet that I’m a part of the last class of Mercy girls graduating Riordan. Time has gone by so fast and it feels like just yesterday when I had my freshmen orientation.”

Areeshah Farooq ’23 said, “When Mercy first announced their doors would be closing, I remember the strong sisterhood we grew to be a part of. We all knew each other and that tight knit community we had built allowed us to seek closure and move on.”

Carly Breitbarth ’23 thinks back to a special moment, “Being with friends on the day of acceptance emails to Riordan was memorable. We were all together, freaking out if we’d get in.”

I am proud because not only me, but the rest of the Mercy class left a mark at Riordan.

— Aliyah Dias '23

Aliyah Diaz ’23 described her contributions to Riordan as a part of the Mercy legacy. She said, “I left a legacy that no one can replace. It’s also been an honor to score the first two points in Riordan’s women’s basketball history. I am proud because not only me, but the rest of the Mercy class left a mark at Riordan.

With it now time for these girls to graduate, they leave behind a legacy and the start of something incredible for the future of Riordan. Though Riordan will continue to change and grow, this last class of Mercy transfers, the Class of 2023, will always hold a crucial part in Riordan’s growth.