Super Mario Bros. movie powers up audience

Julien Untalan ’24, Campus News Editor

“The Super Mario Bros. Movie” has broken the curse of video game movie mediocrity and proved to be an excellent film, highly recommended for all to watch and enjoy.

In complete contrast to the abject failure known as the movie called “Super Mario Bros.” (1993), “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” was not only a movie that would not cause immense nausea to watch, it proved that video game movies could be successful by impressively setting numerous records: Highest-Grossing Film of 2023, Highest-Grossing Film Based on a Video Game, and Highest-Grossing Opening Weekend for an Animated Film.  Furthermore, it proved to the industry that good video game movies are possible, you just need to do them right.

It’s undeniable that the movie was dedicated to pander towards children with its simple and somewhat bland plotline, but it more than made up for it with both its amazing soundtrack and cinematography made specifically to cater to all Nintendo fans.

First off, the soundtrack was a heavenly medley composed of many beautiful renditions of songs from the music of various other games released by Nintendo. Listening to the soundtrack as a Nintendo was a dream-like trip down “Nostalgia Lane” and was the perfect accompaniment to the cinematography of the movie itself. The many moments where I could recognize the origin of the musical motif were delightful and it was unlike any other movie experience I’ve ever had before. 

Second, the cinematography and animation were spectacular, highly uncharacteristic of other films made by Illumination, the animation studio behind the film. Countless references are found in the film, sure to appease the die-hard fans. Each shot and sound was pure art and will be sure to up the standards of video game movies. Essentially, the movie was phenomenal. Go watch it!