The Crusader

Underclassmen undercut by unfortunate losses

Isaiah Clark ’21 sacks the Mitty quarterback

Alex Hsing ’21

Alex Hsing ’21

Zackary Conci ’21 and Jonathan Blecha ’21, Staff Reporters

The Riordan JV football team started the season with a win over Salesian, on August 25, as a result of a forfeit.

Led by head coach Joe Curtin, the team record is 3-4, with their next game Oct. 27 against Saint Ignatius.

Coming off of the 33-22 victory over Serra High School, the team unfortunately lost in the following game against St. Francis with a score of 7-38.

The Crusaders football program recently added a new scoreboard, which has been seen as a motivation for the players and coaches. The football program is also gettinga new field in early 2019 toprepare for the fall 2019 season.

Some goals for the upcoming season also include a positive record, and winning WCAL. JJ Trujeque ’21 said, “My goal for the whole team is to win WCAL. Although before we do that, we need to develop more, memorize our plays, and communicate as team to work together.”

He added, “Our guys have been working out since January, and there were also summer workouts. On top of that, our linemen were sent to competitions.”

Isaac Arguello ’21 said, “Theplans for the new field andscoreboard are nice. I think the venue will be one of the best out there and this will motivate our players to play better. Also, I think that this will bring out larger groups of supporters leading to more motivation through fans.”

On top of the new scoreboard and field, the team also has a few new faces. Felix Alfaro ’21 is a new player to football, and was welcomed with open arms to the team. Some of his goals for the team are, “…learn the plays more, workout more, and have a team attitude so we can better work together.”

Returning player Jacob Lin ’21 said, “We need to get bigger, stronger, and faster.” He said also said, “The coaching staff taught us how to tackle more efficiently,and also keeps us committed by putting more time in.”

The Archbishop Riordan freshman football team did not start their year off great, but that is to be as expected because thiswas their first game together.

Their first non-league gameended in a 14-28 loss at San Ramon Valley High School.

The team fought hard in theirfirst WCAL game with a tough lossto Bellarmine College Prep 22-23.

Hoping to bring the same energy and fight from theirBellarmine game, the team fought hard against Archbishop Mitty, but was unable to piece together the win, losing by 7 with and final score of 20-27.

The next week, they faced their greatest competition in the 4-0 Serra Freshman team. This was a heartbreaking loss, with a score of 6-39. This game said a lot about what they needed to work on, and how they could improve.

After a week of hard work, the Crusaders were back on the field playing against Saint Francis. They came out thegates hot, scoring first but, but fell behind and lost 12-45.