‘Brother’ Dalton ready for retirement

Alexander Ruivivar ’20

Robert Dalton ’61 is retiring.

After four decades of teaching at Archbishop Riordan High School, Robert Dalton ’61 is retiring. Many admire Dalton for his easygoing personality and his sense of humor.

Librarian Danny Appel said, “He’s an excellent teacher. He’s been around Riordan for 40 years. He has a great sense of humor. He has a great rapport with the students, and he’s passionate in what he teaches. He’s dedicated in what he does, and I think students can take away valuable things from Mr. Dalton.”

Fellow English teacher and daughter Mary Dalton commented on what it has been like working with her father. “It’s an extremely special experience that not a lot of people are able to have,” she said.

Alberto Huang He ’19 said, “He likes to joke about things. He likes to talk with other students personally.”

Although he will be missed, many students and members of the faculty hope he enjoys his retirement.

Diana Assereto, English Department Chair, said, “I’ll miss the walks, the jokes, and his laughter. Also, his intelligence, his knowledge of life, and a colleague I can count on.”

Sean Moore ’19 said, “I’ll miss his understanding of the books he gives us and the late fee. I hope he has a great retirement.”

Mary Dalton concurs about his book prowess, saying, “Just the fact we have so much in common in terms of literature. I will also miss his sense of humor and deep knowledge of English literature.”

One of the most memorable moments of being Dalton’s student is his tardy fees.

According to Dalton, “I don’t really keep track of it lately, but when I was full time and I had a homeroom, believe it or not, I combined tardy fees with money collected by Homeroom 204 for various school fundraisers: disaster relief, and Marianist schools overseas, assistance for almost always had a high total.”

Before teaching at Archbishop Riordan High School, Dalton was setting records, served in the US Army, taught at a public school, and worked at the Califor- nia State Archives.

When he was a student at San Francisco State, he broke the record for the half-mile, but that only lasted for a few years.

“In 1964 and again in 1965, I broke the San Francisco State College record for the half-mile. The record lasted a few years, but it has been broken at least four or five times.” During the height of the Vietnam War, he was drafted and served

in the US Army for two years. “The Vietnam War was at high tide, but fortunately I did not have to go overseas.”

During his military service, he spent most of his time in Virginia, near Washington, D.C. The highest rank that he reached was Specialist 5, which is equivalent to a sergeant.

After his service in the Army, he worked for five years in a Southern California public school. Around 1977 or 1978, Dalton and his family moved to Sacramento where he worked in the California State Archives. It was from there he went on to teach at Archbishop Riordan High School.

By the fall of 1978, Dalton was hired. He taught English for grades 9, 10, and 11. He also taught French and German. Additionally, a passionate subject of his, he taught World History, World Geography, and California History. At the AP level, he has taught English Language Composition and European History.

After 40 years of teaching, Dalton believes it is time to say goodbye to teaching. During his retirement, he plans to do a lot of reading, and would like to spend time in the gym. He and his wife also hope to travel, especially to the East Coast.

“I try to read at least 25 books a year. In retirement I plan to read more. Two books which I have read so many times are 1984 and for pleasure, Ian Fleming’s James Bond spy novels.”

Dalton said that he will miss certain aspects of teaching.

“Interacting with the students and my fellow teachers, as well as support staff, and members of teh administration. I’ll also miss learning new things in the subject areas I teach.”

Conversely, he won’t most miss some of the aspects of teaching.

“I will not miss commuting across the Bay Bridge and Highway 80 traffic.”

Lastly, many students and colleagues love Dalton’s old school persona. When asked about his favorite software program, he responded: “What’s that?