Admissions Team surges forward with record enrollment

Photo by Noah David ’22

The Riordan Admissions Team, Sally O’Connell, Danny Curtin ’08, and Joe Kopp, processed a record number of applicants for fall 2021.

William Ortiz ’22, News Editor

As the school’s first year of being co-ed is almost over, the admissions for the next 2021-2022 school year have been finalized and will be bringing in an influx of students from more schools. With applications being available to boys and girls, many changes have been made to adjust to the new applicants.

From more than 85 different schools, many boys and girls have applied to Riordan and have been admitted for the following school year. The school will be receiving approximately 270 more students. Among these new students, the ratio of boys compared to girls is 60 to 40 percent.

There have been concerns about the capacity of the school, with some wondering if there is even enough space to fit the now very big school community.

“Definitely. Mr. Reardon, Dr. Currier, Mr. Simon, Mr. O’Brien, and I have all worked diligently in this preparation,” said Danny Curtin ’08, Riordan’s Director of Admissions.

“We have mapped out scheduling, classrooms, and other activities to ensure the student experience remains the same. Our school used to have 1,100 students in the mid-’70s!”

Next year, the school will also be receiving 15 new boarding students from various countries including Italy, Spain, Turkey, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Denmark, and France. Curtin also assured that there is enough housing available, since 2021 is a large graduating international class.

The admissions process has been different this year from previous years. There has been an increase in applications, and due to current circumstances, the school had to switch to a digitalonly process, with no host-inperson events.

“I would not say it was more work, but different work. My two colleagues, Sally O’Connell and Joe Kopp, did a great job of assisting these efforts,” said Curtin.

They [incoming students] are all smart, intellectually curious, and active. The people make Riordan a special place. Throughout this application process, they were so impressive. I truly think they will dive right into our community and lead Riordan into this next generation of greatness.

— Danny Curtin ’08

The administrative team has spent a lot of time to make sure the school is well equipped to handle the new students. Now, each department is preparing for next year and all the energy that will come with it.

Curtin said, “Over half our student body next year will have never experienced a normal school day at Riordan. It will be busier and have a ton going on, but we are ready to go.”

With new students coming next year, many are excited to see how the year will look. Although there are concerns about crowding, Curtin assured that the school has prepared for the upcoming year and any possible issue.

Curtin added, “They are all smart, intellectually curious, and active. The people make Riordan a special place. Throughout this application process, they were so impressive. I truly think they will dive right into our community and lead Riordan into this next generation of greatness.”