Alumnus shines new light on mental health awareness

Joseph Zuloaga '23

Hines reminisces on his Riordan memories in the yearbook.

Marisa Hamilton ’22, Staff Reporter

Kevin Hines ’00, ARHS graduate, film producer, and survivor of a suicide attempt off of the Golden Gate Bridge, visited his alma mater to talk about mental health awareness to the Riordan student body and faculty.

Although an audience could not meet in the theater on Feb. 4 due to COVID-19 restrictions, the assembly was live streamed so teachers and students could view the discussion in classrooms.

“Kevin is a dynamic, charismatic speaker, and it would have been even more engaging to feel his energy in person. However, I understand with the size of our school now and COVID restrictions, it would be impossible to have the whole school attend live,” shared instructor Richard Sylvester ’01, a schoolmate of Hines.

The question panel with eight seniors and one junior prepared to ask Hines questions relating to adolescent anxiety and depression, and how to recognize when peers are exhibiting signs of suicidal thoughts.

Hines said that “It doesn’t really matter if someone mentions it (suicide) one time or a thousand times. Take it seriously every single time because in the back of their brain they’re thinking about it, they’re pondering it on a regular basis and they desperately need help.”

Hines visits the mat room, remembering his time as a Riordan wrestler. (Angelina Ning ’23)

All of the questions were answered with meaningful advice, intertwined with his anecdotes about socializing and extracurriculars in high school. Caton Daval-Santos ’22, Wellness Club member, said, “Hines’ speech reminded me and many others that if we see something, say something. It is very easy to be a bystander. His words were inspiring and encouraging to say the least.”

“It doesn’t really matter if someone mentions it (suicide) one time or a thousand times. Take it seriously every single time because in the back of their brain they’re thinking about it, they’re pondering it on a regular basis and they desperately need help.”

— Kevin Hines '00

More emphasis has been put on mental health with the increase of emergencies since the pandemic. The impact of anxiety about getting sick, and depression from isolation should not be underestimated.

For prevention of mental health crises, Elizabeth Heuser, head of Riordan’s Wellness program, said to “Ask other people, ‘How are you doing, really?’ Let them know you are open to hearing more than ‘Fine.’…We need to show care and compassion for each other, even in our smallest daily interactions.”

If one is self-harming or considering suicide, resources recommended by Hines are available, such as the Headspace and Calm apps, plus mental health tips are posted every Friday on youtube.com/kevinhines. Hotlines include 1-800-273-8255, and texting CNQR to 741-741.