St. Emydius Turkey Drive shares holiday cheer

Several+members+of+St.+Emydius+parish+helped+to+collect+and+then+deliver+turkeys+to+those+in+need.+

The Crusader Staff

Several members of St. Emydius parish helped to collect and then deliver turkeys to those in need.

Gianluca Carboni ’24, Staff Reporter

UPDATE! After the Dec. 17 collection, ” . . .the 2022 SF Turkey Drive collected 1,289 turkeys (at the two drives, online and by check).”

A nice warm meal for a hungry person who can’t afford one is what volunteers provide when they donate turkeys and other food items at St. Emydius Nov. 19 and Dec. 17.

The 11th annual SF Turkey Drive at St. Emydius Church gives meals to St. Anthony’s Dining Room. Last year, the effort contributed 1,392 turkeys, made into 60,000 meals. Online donations, checks and even boxes of veggies are converted to “turkeys” – $25 per “turkey” unit.

Organizer of the turkey drive Pierre Smit said, “I started in 2012 from my home. I thought of asking neighbors if they wanted to bring me turkeys that I would bring to St. Anthony at the same time as the turkeys that I was bringing there anyway. In 2013, I asked St Emydius Church to join me in doing this event twice a year.”

We provide hope and walk with their journey to build stability. In offering renewal, those who are helping are also renewed.

— Carlo Fiaratone, Director of Mission at Saint Anthony’s Dining Room

Smit continued, “All the food is moved by a U-Haul truck to St. Anthony in the Tenderloin right after the Turkey Drive. They cook about 50 turkeys for about 2,600 meals. Later in the year, they will cook a different meal like a turkey meatloaf so the diners don’t always get the same meals.”

Smit is happy that he found a way to help an organization feed those who have nothing to eat. This event opens a door to a better future for them.

On Nov. 19, people brought frozen turkeys or boxes of fresh vegetables at the drop-off site or donated online through the website at SFTurkeyDrive.com, resulting in 679 turkeys donated.

A woman in the long line for Thanksgiving lunch said, “I got a brand new jacket and it’s wonderful to get a meal.”

Director of mission for Saint Anthony Carlo Fiatarone said, “We provide hope and walk with their journey to build stability. In offering renewal, those who are helping are also renewed.” Carlo said “Saint Anthony’s provides groceries, clothes, medical care, housing, helps find jobs, and a safe and welcoming community.”

Smit suggested, “I believe Riordan students should go sometime to help at St. Anthony.”

The food drive will once again accept donated  hams or boxes of fresh veggies for Christmas dinners on Dec. 17, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., at the St. Emydius parking lot on De Montfort Avenue.