LeBron passes Abdul Jabbar as all-time leading scorer

The Crusader Staff

LeBron James is now the all-time scoring leader of the NBA, passing Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s record.

Ishaan Gupta '26, Staff Reporter

Kareem Abdul Jabbar has held the NBA scoring title since 1984 when he broke Wilt Chamberlain’s title at the time against the Utah Jazz, but that was broken today with Lebron hitting a fadeaway against the Oklahoma City Thunder. 

LeBron now sits on top of the list with 38,390 points. 

He broke it at the 12-second mark during the 3rd quarter. He was given a standing ovation and MVP chants by the crowd, and was personally congratulated by the “captain” Kareem Abdul Jabbar, who passed on the torch to LeBron. 

Lebron ended the game with 38 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals and the Lakers ended up losing the game 133 to 130. 

LeBron, after breaking the record, said, “I just wanna say thank you to the Laker faithful, you guys are one of a kind. To be able to be in the presence of such a legend and great as Kareem it means so much to me, it’s very humbling. Please give a standing ovation to the captain please.”

I just wanna say thank you to the Laker faithful, you guys are one of a kind. To be able to be in the presence of such a legend and great as Kareem it means so much to me, it’s very humbling.

— LeBron James

He continued. “To my beautiful wife, my daughter, my two boys, my friends, my boys, my family, my mother, …everybody that’s ever been a part of this run with me the last 20 years, 20 plus years, I just wanna say I thank you so much ‘cause I wouldn’t be me without y’all. All y’all help, all y’all passion, all y’all sacrifices helped me get to this point; and to the NBA, to Adam Silver, to the late great David Stern, I thank you guys so much for allowing me to be a part of something I’ve always dreamed about and I would never, ever in a million years dreamt this even better than what it is tonight.”

LeBron is the only player on the top 10 scoring list who is top 4 in assists, top 10 in steals, and top 10 in three-pointers made. In his career so far, Lebron is a 4-time MVP, 4-time champion, 4-time Finals MVP, 19-time all-star (tied for most all-star appearances), 18 All-NBA player, 3-time all-star MVP, a scoring champion, an assist champion, a 6-time all defensive player, and a member of the 75th-anniversary team. 

I would never, ever in a million years dreamt this even better than what it is tonight.

— LeBron James

Despite being 38, LeBron hasn’t slowed down, and he is currently averaging 30 points, 8 rebounds, and 7 assists.

He looks toward playing for a few more years in the NBA with both his sons Bronny and Bryce James (who are now in high school). The Lakers, currently 25-29, sit 13th in the Western Conference, and are making a playoff push with LeBron leading the charge. 

The King achieved history today, and will continue to break records in the future.