Ting turns back time with memorable return to Riordan

Schoolmates+Jeff+Isola+98%2C+Nate+Simon+99%2C+David+Lin+99%2C+and+Rich+Ting+98+reunited+earlier+this+month+when+Ting+visited+Riordan+to+speak+to+students+

Joseph

Schoolmates Jeff Isola ’98, Nate Simon ’99, David Lin ’99, and Rich Ting ’98 reunited earlier this month when Ting visited Riordan to speak to students

Angelina Ning '23, Features Editor

After months of planning and coordination, Rich Ting ’98, returned to the Riordan campus on Feb. 6. During his visit, he spoke about many of his cherished memories at Riordan, but also gave life advice to many students. 

Many of the students from different cultural backgrounds and clubs came to see him. As Ting spoke, he reconnected with a few of his classmates, teachers, and teammates. He also recalled his time at Riordan as being his best, after transferring senior year. 

Rich mentioned that he laughed so much when he was at Riordan. It really touched me. As an educator, what he said reminded me that not only am I a supporter of students’ academics, but also a cheerleader for their daily lives,” said Yin Shan Yang, modern language teacher and Asian Student Association club moderator. 

In regards to his acting career, he said he was inspired through the film classes that the school provided. 

“We started with VHS,” laughed Ting.

After kick-starting the basics of film and television from Riordan’s DV art class, Ting was able to land a career in NBC after college. This was a catalyst to the start of his acting career.

“I learned that he graduated the same year as Mr. Zumbado, or should I say big Juan…,” said Emma Lee ’25 an ASA member. 

Ting mentioned that during his football career at Riordan, he was able to meet many great people such as Dean of Students Juan Zumbado ’98 and Counselor  David Lin ’99. 

I love being coached, I’m still being coached—it’s amazing what confidence can do

— Rich Ting '98

“You guys should really be lucky you all have such passionate teachers and coaches,” said Ting. 

Other classmates and teachers who came to hear him speak included Jeff Isola ’98, Michael Vezzali-Pascual, and Ottilie Valverde. 

Before going to their practice, members of the football team listened to his talk. 

Weeks later, Charles Chu ’24 said, “One thing I may want to ask him about is how to expand as a person beyond being a football player, despite the label.” 

During his talk, Ting advised students to listen to their teachers and coaches, saying, “I love being coached, I’m still being coached.” He added, “It’s amazing what confidence can do.”