Community mourns loss of lifelong fan

Lou+Segale+61+was+a+frequent+presence+at+many+Riordan+events.+

Nano Visser

Lou Segale ’61 was a frequent presence at many Riordan events.

Katelyn Leong '25, Health Editor

On Nov. 18, 2022, the Riordan family lost a proud Crusader, Lou Segale, who died way at the age of 79 due to complications with cancer. He was a member of Riordan’s class of 1961. 

Born to Mary and William Segale on March 14, 1943, he supported and volunteered at various athletic events, established the Segale Family Scholarship, and was the recipient of the Chaminade Award at his alma mater. His education continued at the University of San Francisco (class of ’65) and he went on to have a career in education, teaching mathematics for 36 years, mostly at Raoul Wallenberg Traditional High School.

An avid supporter of Riordan athletics, and the school as a whole, he attended all of the Riordan volleyball games this season and all of the Riordan basketball games for decades.

Co-Athletic Director Bob Greene said, “It’s not hyperbole to say that Lou Segale was one of the best people I have ever known and certainly one of the great constants of Riordan Athletics over the past 50 years.”

He added, “If there were more people like Lou this world would be a much better place. He meant so much to all of us in the athletic department and we will miss him greatly.”

It’s not hyperbole to say that Lou Segale was one of the best people I have ever known.

— Bob Greene, Athletic Director

Members of the Girls Varsity Volleyball team and Boys Varsity Basketball attended Segale’s funeral service on Dec, 7 at St. Paul’s Church, where he was a life-long member, to represent the Riordan community and pay their respects to a fellow Crusader.

Varsity Head Coach Jen Curtin said, “I was lucky enough to meet Lou years ago at a basketball game. In fact, I noticed him at every basketball game. He was a constant presence and supporter, helping out the Athletic Department with set up or clean up, too.”

Curtin continued, “And later, when I joined the volleyball coaching staff, it was an absolute delight to see him at all of our matches as well, and I used to love saying hi and checking in with him during the lower level games before the Varsity match started.”

Segale is survived by his brothers William (Judy) and Robert (Jean) Segale; nieces, Lisa (Gabriel) Negrete, Mary and Kimberly Segale and nephews, Darren and John (Diana) Segale. He is great uncle to Gianna, Nico, Dario, Mia, Demitrius, Adelina and Ariosa.

He will be greatly missed by the entire Riordan community, and though his passing left a hole in the hearts of his fellow Crusaders, Lou Segale has also left an indelible mark on the school and changed the school for the better in so many ways. 

“Lou was introverted, humble, supportive, and enthusiastic about sports and the Riordan community,” Curtin said. “He worked with teenagers his entire life as a teacher and mentor, and that love for young people going through the trials of teenage years is a special gift to give to the world.”

“There was no one else like him in his dedication and commitment to our community, especially as a fan, and I do not think we’ll see anyone like him again.”