The Crusader

NFL draft elds fantastic footballers

First round draft pick Baker May eld has brought the Cleveland Browns respect on and off the  eld.

First round draft pick Baker May eld has brought the Cleveland Browns respect on and off the eld.

Getty Images

Getty Images

Steven Elsner '20, Staff Reporter

The NFL Draft took place from April 26 to 28, at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, where 256 of the best college athletes assembled to see if their dreams of making the NFL would come true.

In order to be eligible for the NFL Draft, a player has to be three years removed from high school.

For the second year in a row, the Cleveland Browns had the first overall pick, and they selected the 2017 Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield, quarterback, out of the University of Oklahoma. He was a two-time Sporting News player of the year winner, a two-time Big 12 offensive player of the year, Big 12 offensive freshman of the year, two- time first team All-American, and three-time All-Big 12. He is seventh all-time in college passing yards.

He got his first start on Sept. 30 against the Oakland Raiders but lost. The week before his first start Mayfield helped the Browns win their first game in almost two years. After the first five weeks of the NFL season, Mayfield has passed for 838 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions.

With the second overall pick, the New York Giants selected Saquon Barkley, running back, out of Pennsylvania State University. His team won the Big 10 championship, he was a consensus All-American, two-time Big 10 offensive player of the year, two-time First Team All Big 10, second team All Big 10, and Freshman All-American.

He also set a franchise record in the NFL for most receptions in franchise history. He also tied the all-time rookie record. Barkley has run for three touchdowns and almost 400 rushing yards after five games this year.

With the third overall pick, the New York Jets selected Sam Darnold, quarterback, out of the University of Southern California. He was a first team All-PAC 12, won the Rose Bowl, the Archie Griffin Award, and was named PAC 12 Freshman of the Year.

He has played in two NFL football games and he has passed for 532 yards, three touchdowns, three interceptions, and has completed 66.1 percent of his passes. After four games, Darnold has passed for 1,100 yards with seven touchdowns and six interceptions.

With the fourth overall pick, the Cleveland Browns selected Denzel Ward, cornerback, out of Ohio State University. He was a Consensus All-American and was on the First Team All-Big 10. In his first game in the NFL, he has two interceptions, three deflected passes and 12 tackles. He also won Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week Award. After four games award has three interceptions six pass deflections and twenty-five tackles, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

With the fifth overall pick, the Denver Broncos selected Bradley Chubb, defensive end, out of North Carolina State University. He was a unanimous First Team All-American, Bronko Nagurski Trophy winner, ACC defensive player of the year, First Team All-ACC, AP First Team All-ACC, and the winner of the Ted Hendricks Award. In his first game in the NFL, Chubb has recorded 1.5 sacks and twelve tackles. Chubb has one and a half sacks and eight tackles.

With the ninth overall pick, the San Francisco 49ers selected Mike McGlinchey, offensive tackle, out of University of Notre Dame. He was a consensus All-American. He has played one game in his NFL career. His cousin is 2016 NFL MVP Matt Ryan of the Atlanta Falcons. He has started all four games he has played in.