‘Tis the season for takedowns

Tony Tran '02

Members of the wrestling team and their coaches are ready for another successful year.

Jack Calonico ’19, Staff Reporter

The days are shorter and the weather is colder, which means wrestling at Archbishop Riordan is back. The returning WCAL champions are here another year. Although they had a incredible ending to their 2018 campaign, the team is ready and poised to repeat their title. The team opens up their season at the Falcon Dual Shootout at Freedom High on Dec. 1. Their first league match is against Sacred Heart Cathedral at SHC on Jan. 17.

Head Coach Tony Tran ’02 is returning for another year with the Crusaders and is excited as ever to get this season going.

Returning varsity wrestler, Michael Bigler ’20, is ready for this upcoming year and is looking to earn redemption at CCS and place for State. His amazing work ethic and dedication will help leap him there.

Nikita Moysov ’19 had this to say about Bigler, “He works extremely hard and I believe he will take a major leap this year and do great things for Riordan.”

Coming straight from football, returning varsity wrestler, Raymond Russell ’20 is also looking to repeat the title and win CCS this year. In regards to the team’s confidence, as well as his own, he said, “The entire team is very excited for this year and we can’t wait to defend our title. As for myself, I’m ready and December 1st couldn’t come soon enough.”

The team has three seniors this year helping lead the squad and mentor the young and upcoming Crusaders.

Senior wrestler Daniel Gerard said, “The season is going to be a challenging one, but with the people we have on varsity we should be able to accomplish our goals we set this year. Our freshmen and sophomores are starting to pick up on moves that aren’t usually what they would learn the first year wrestling which will make the season much less challenging.”