The Crusader

Giants hang up on AT&T, consult Oracle for new name

The Giants’ stadium name has changed from Pacific Bell to SBC to AT&T, and now Oracle Park.

sfgiants.com

Steven Elsner ’20, Staff Reporter

For the fourth time in the Giants history in San Francisco, they have changed the name of their home stadium on 2nd and King streets.

Before they moved to that location in 2000, they played at Candlestick Park, or “The Stick” as some people called it. The original name of the new stadium, when it was first built, was Pacific Bell Park. For the next three years, the stadium was known as Pac Bell until in 2003, when SBC bought Pacific Bell.

For the next three years it was known as SBC Park. In 2006, AT&T bought SBC and it was changed to AT&T Park for the next 13 years.

On April 3, 1996, Pacific Bell, a telephone company serving California based in San Francisco, purchased the naming rights for the planned ballpark for $50 million for 24 years. The stadium broke ground on Dec. 11, 1997 for an amazing $357 million, which is equivalent to $519 million today.

The stadium opened on April 11, 2000, just in time for the baseball season to begin. On Jan. 9, 2019, it was reported that AT&T had given the Giants the option of ending the naming deal a year early, if the team could quickly find a new partner. The Giants and Oracle Corporation came to a rapid agreement, with the old AT&T Park signs being replaced with temporary Oracle Park banners the next day.

The name change will last for the next 20 years, as they bought the rights to the park’s name. The deal will expire in the year 2038. The rights to the stadium’s name is worth around $300-350 million for the next 20 years.

AT&T said in an official statement, “We have decided to not renew our naming rights sponsorship with the San Francisco Giants, including AT&T Park. We’ve had a great relationship with the Giants over the years, and we remain committed to our employees and customers in the Bay Area. This decision was part of our continuous evaluation of our corporate sponsorship portfolio nationwide.”

Oracle was happy about buying the rights to the name, saying, “We are extremely proud that one of the best and most storied ballparks in America will now be called Oracle Park,” said Oracle Chief Executive Mark Hurd in an official statement. “Together we will create an incredible fan experience and develop programs to engage and impact the community in new ways.”