Baseball team rounds bases final time on grass field

Alex Hsing ’21

Julian Castillo ’19 turns a double play.

Jack McBride ’19, Staff Writer

The varsity baseball team had a bumpy season, with a season coming to a close with a 0-14 in regular season games.

The odds seemed to be stacked against them with early season injuries and a young team consisting of nine seniors, eight juniors, and two sophomores they were “facing some of the best teams in the state of California and the United States” said Julian Castillo ’19, the team’s 2nd baseman.

Valley Christian’s baseball team is proud to say that they are one of the best in the nation with a 10-2 record in WCAL. Archbishop Mitty also boasts an impressive record with baseball inside the regular season and out.

With these impressive odds against them, the Varsity team has kept their heads up and are optimistically looking for an unlikely upset versus the infamous Valley Christian in their first postseason game.

“Even if we don’t get em’ this year, we’ll get them in the next one” said Randy Aberouette ’20, a hopeful junior who was not ready to give up on this season and more then ready for the next.

Coach Brandon Ramsey also has high hopes for the future of the program. “I believe the turf field will help out a lot with practice time,” he said.

Aberouette added, “We have great potential. We just need to understand that.”

The team’s optimism is certainly not hurting them. The younger players are looking forward to the next season.

With combination ofa new field and Varsity experience, the team can go nowhere but up in the upcoming season.

Coach Ramsey said, “I love these guys and can’t say enough on how proud of them I am. I believe this group will all grow up to be great leaders in the future.”

UPDATE 5/20/2019: The Crusaders lost against Valley Christian in the WCAL playoff game 12-1. Recently, outfielder Stephen Blecha ’19 was named to the WCAL first team all-league as an outfielder. Pitcher Gabe Wassmer ’19 and utility man JJ Blecha ’21 received honorable mention in their respective department.