Riordan at 70: Tony Jones ’89

Antonio Maffei ’20, Website Editor

Tony Jones ’89 died on April 11, 2024. Please click the photo for more information. The Crusader is working on a story for the May issue.

Tony Jones is a graduate from the class of 1989. Born and raised in Daly City as an only child, he grew up watching professional wrestling and was a big fan of movies and television.

He said, “I guess that’s from being an only child.”

In regards to his experience at Riordan during the 80s, Jones said, “I feel it was an awesome time to be in high school, especially at Riordan High School. The 80s consisted of great times through movies, music, and social happenings. I think of the 80s as the best decade of my life and I couldn’t have been at a better school than Riordan. I’m always looking back to my days and lessons taught at Riordan High School.”

As for his most memorable experience at Riordan, Jones said, “Steve Swanson, wrestling coach when I was a freshman, saw me lose every match after I joined the wrestling team at Riordan. During my junior year, Coach Swanson became sick and didn’t finish the season with us. Vic Anastasio took over. He was an awesome coach to me as well. When I made it to the finals of the WCAL tournament during my senior year, Mr. Swanson, who was extremely sick at this point, came back for the finals and was our guest MC host for the night. Mr. Swanson read my name, ‘Tony Jones, the winner of the WCAL championship with a pin.’ That was the greatest moment for me because this great man pushed me and didn’t give up on me, along with Vic, and saw me turn my career around before Mr. Swanson passed away in 1989.”

Jones soon joined professional wrestling and said, “ I joined a pro wrestling school and became a pro wrestler in 1997. I was featured in a wrestling documentary called, ‘Beyond the Mat’ and received numerous matches with WWE, WCW, and wrestled throughout Japan. I feel I have gained so much from wrestling and it all started with Riordan High School and I couldn’t be more grateful for the time there and experience.” Jones has found himself very busy with his current job as a Network Administrator and technology specialist for a law firm in Palo Alto. The job keeps him on his feet with supporting over 100 legal professionals on a day to day basis. But Jones said, “I would like to start making more time to give back to the school that has given me so much.”