Senior golfers tee off on the green for final time

A+trio+of+golfers+from+the+Class+of+2020+represented+Riordan%E2%80%99s+golf+team.+

Chris Constantine

A trio of golfers from the Class of 2020 represented Riordan’s golf team.

Massimo Hoffmann, Staff Reporter

In March 2020, the country was effectively restricted from having events that would bring big crowds due to COVID-19. This meant that all schools would be closed as well as athletics, which accounts for a big part of student athletes’ lives.

The 2020 school year started out for many on a good note. Football was in full effect, and a promising basketball season was expected for Riordan. Then, schools nationwide closed in March, leaving thousands of spring athletes without a sport to compete in during their senior year.

The pandemic left many athletes wondering what to do next as it has taken a whole season away from seniors who had something to prove this year. For many, it came as a shock, and even for those not playing at a college level, it still felt like they had lost something.

One senior on the Riordan golf team, Aidan Horgan ’20, was hoping for a good season before the pandemic changed everything. Aidan, a four-year golfer at Riordan, was awaiting his senior year to shine and finally show what he’s been working on for the past four years.

“I was feeling really good about the season. We had some new teammates who really made us better as a whole and there was a good chance we would win a few matches this season,” said Horgan.

This was a feeling that many seniors faced. Horgan, being one of the more influential seniors, was able to work with the team and show many the ropes and why he loves the game.

“Throughout this entire experience I have learned how important golfing is to me. During quarantine, I realized how great of an opportunity I have had playing at amazing courses, that I may never play on again,” he said.

This statement highlights what most athletes truly lost in this time of crisis and for athletes like Horgan, who won’t continue playing in the fall, their time was cut short. Although he will not be playing golf in college, this Crusader will be attending SF State in the fall to continue his studies and play golf on the side.

“I probably won’t play on a school team, but will definitely play golf as an extracurricular.”

While the pandemic ruined the season, it did not ruin his love for the game.