Crusader Athletics adds girls sports’ coaches to the team

Sophia Carrasquilla ‘22, Girl Sports Editor

With the addition of new sports teams to the Crusader Athletic Program, Riordan also welcomes new coaches. Introducing, the head coaches in women’s sports for the fall, spring and winter season– 

Serving up the tennis season is Coach Raymond Wong, who will lead the girls varsity team. “My goal at Riordan is to build a program and continuity to where the girls learn how to use the tools they acquire in class and on the court for their adulthood. Most importantly, that they have fun playing tennis.” Wong was born in China, but has lived in San Francisco his whole life, coached his two sons at Sacred Heart Cathedral for 18 then followed two years at Mercy SF.  Wong played at Francisco Junior High School and continued to play in United States Tennis Association tournaments as well as father-son tournaments. 

Girls’ Varsity Volleyball Coach Elizabeth Watters

For the first time ever at Riordan, the Crusaders will have volleyball teams, and heading that program Coach Elizabeth Watters. “In our inaugural season, our goal is to build a community of athletes who are passionate about the sport of volleyball. We want to learn the skill of the game, challenge ourselves to reach our potential, and have some fun. Go RVB!”

Coach Watters is a San Francisco native, played Division I volleyball for Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts, and continues to play for different leagues in the city. She has been playing since third grade of elementary school, and continued until senior year in college. 

Assistant Volleyball Coach Angela Rubang joins Watters in leading the inaugural volleyball program at Riordan. She said, “I hope to foster women athletes of strong character and virtue, so that as individuals, they can reach their full potential as a team we’ll achieve success.” 

Coach Ruband grew up in the East Bay, and attended SFSU when they cut the volleyball program, however she played in adult leagues, as well as seven years in school. 

Girls’ Varsity Basketball Coach Will Watkins ‘99

Joining the boys in the upcoming season, the women’s basketball program will be led by Coach Will Watkins. Coach Watkins said, “My goal with the girls basketball program is to establish a high character, competitive, fun culture that mirrors what I grew in as a Crusader and have carried on as a member of the boys’ basketball staff for the last seven years. I look forward to welcoming our young ladies to the Riordan athletic program and continuing Riordan’s proud tradition of athletic excellence.” Watkins is a San Francisco native and Riordan alumnus (Class of 1999). He has been playing since he was eight years old and coaching since the age of 16. He went to College of San Mateo and Academy of Arts