Vaccine centers across Bay Area give hope pandemic’s end is near

The+vaccine+center+at+City+College+of+San+Francisco%2C+next+door+to+Riordan%2C+has+been+open+for+a+few+months+with+drive+up+and+walk+in+service+by+appointment.+

Joseph Zuloaga '23

The vaccine center at City College of San Francisco, next door to Riordan, has been open for a few months with drive up and walk in service by appointment.

Delaney Mulqueen '22, Environment Editor

In California alone, the Coronavirus has claimed an estimated 60,300 lives; but, following the one-year quarantine anniversary, vaccine centers have begun opening to the general public, many located in our own community. 

According to The California Department of Public Health, eight million citizens over the age of 16, have been fully vaccinated as of April 9, 2021. 

Olivia Gomez, Dean of Students at Archbishop Riordan High School, contributed to that data after receiving the Pfizer vaccination at Oakland Coliseum back in February. 

“I’m no doctor, but I decided to vaccinate because the virus rapidly spreads, mutates, and affects the whole community. I vaccinated for myself, my family, my friends, and my community to help slow the spread and lessen the risks if contracted. I would recommend anyone who wishes to do the same seek advice from their doctor,” she said.

Pfizer-BioNTech is working to authorize a clinical trial moving the minimum age bracket from 16 to 12 years old. By doing so, children could be granted the possibility of a 100 percent efficiency rate.

“I do feel safer after getting my vaccine since I was considered high risk. I feel more protected since the symptoms and effects won’t be as hard to manage.” 

— Brendan Rigney ’21, Pfizer recipient

An estimated 50 clinics can be located surrounding the Archbishop Riordan area such as: City College of San Francisco Main Campus, Safeway Pharmacy, Walgreens, and CVS. Further research can be conducted through VaccineFinder.com

Typically, an appointment will take 35 minutes, including check-in, enduring a mandatory observation period, and the shot itself.  

Up until recently, the CDC and FDA approved three vaccinations: Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson, all working to aid anxieties without abandoning the practices of continuously sanitizing, washing hands, maintaining social distancing, and wearing face masks.

Johnson & Johnson is experiencing a recommended production pause due to concerns about abnormal side effects. 

Nonetheless, those fully vaccinated aren’t exempt from infection, either; however, studies show they would hypothetically endure lesser symptoms. In addition, the CDC has said that those who are fully vaccinated can be together without masks, but encourage the continuance of social distancing and wearing masks when in contact with others to work towards herd immunity, and thus, normalcy once again.