Volleyball serves up first indoor season

Carol+Manu+%E2%80%9825+tips+the+ball+over+a+block+during+the+Senior+Night+game+against+Summit+Shasta+

Joseph Zuloaga '23

Carol Manu ‘25 tips the ball over a block during the Senior Night game against Summit Shasta

William Lenoyr Ortiz, State and Local Editor

This season marks the second year for Riordan’s first ever girls volleyball team. As of Sept. 23, the team is at a 5-7 score this season so far. Last season, the team only got to play against two other schools — Washington High School once and Sacred Heart Cathedral Prep twice — due to COVID regulations and their overall score was 0-3. 

Both games were played outside on Mayer Family Field. 

Elci commented, “Last season we weren’t able to connect to the newer players and with each other as much as we would’ve liked, and also couldn’t perform to our fullest extent. Playing on turf is a huge difference, it was fun even having the opportunity to have some sort of season.”

Compared to last season, the team seems to be doing well so far. This season the team was introduced to their new coach, Sabrina Andreatta.

Andreatta has been coaching volleyball for elementary and middle school girls for about five years. She as well has helped to start the volleyball program at Riordan last year during the pandemic. 

Before coming to Riordan, Andreatta was an intern at an non-profit organization called CUESA — The Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture —  as a Foodwise Kids Intern. She also has coached CYO volleyball for Our Lady of Mercy Catholic School and Legarza Volleyball Camp. 

Varsity volleyball lines up before a game against Washington High school, to sing the pledge of allegiance

Last year was my first year coaching high school volleyball, but I am so excited to get to have a real season with amazing players, and a supportive fan base which includes parents and the larger Riordan community”, says Andreatta.

Practices for the players seem to be an hour and half to two hours long in the Gym, where the players work on skills like passing, setting, hitting, and serve receive. 

Our team planned and will continue to work together and support each other throughout this season

— Coach Andreatta

“The coaches try to challenge the players to constantly improve their techniques while also focusing on controlling the ball and playing aggressively”, says Andreatta. “Workouts consist of strength training with a prime focus on strengthening their core and leg muscles which are all key areas of power for volleyball”.

The team still has a couple schools to play against before the season is over. The team’s main goal this season is to develop a strong and supportive community of  student-athletes while striving to improve their volleyball skills through hard work and working together as a team. 

Andreatta said, “Our team planned and will continue to work together and support each other throughout this season.All of our athletes are part of the larger volleyball program, not separated by the level of team they are on. We strive to exemplify Pride, Purpose, and Performance, our school’s values during practice, at matches, and off the court.”

Click on this interactive map to see all the places the volleyball team traveled this season.