Tennis program doubles with the addition of girls

Deanie+Cooper+24+takes+a+swing+during+a+tennis+match.+

Lance yearbook

Deanie Cooper ’24 takes a swing during a tennis match.

Arianna Jaboneta ‘23, Copy Editor

After the shortened spring season last year, the future looks bright for Archbishop Riordan’s girls’ tennis team. 

Coach Raymond Wong is optimistic for the 2021-2022 season, saying, “15 possible returning players is an excellent start. For the abbreviated 2021 Spring season, the team only had five players. 

Last season, Archbishop Riordan welcomed Coach Wong as the girls’ tennis coach. Wong got his start at coaching after attending practices and matches for his son at Sacred Heart Cathedral. 

I am really looking forward to the season and I have high hopes for the team

— Ashley Coleman ‘22

“I didn’t choose tennis, tennis chose me,” Wong said. Former tennis coach at Sacred Heart Cathedral, Brother Anthony, asked Wong to step in for him while he tutored after school. After two years of coaching JV Tennis at SHC, Wong became head coach of Varsity Tennis. Coach Wong spent 18 years coaching at SHC, then two years at Mercy San Francisco prior to its closing. He is spending his 20th anniversary of coaching at Archbishop Riordan High School. 

Senior Ashley Coleman began her tennis career during the shortened spring season last year. 

“My mom played tennis in college and inspired me to try out at Riordan,” Coleman said. “I am really looking forward to the season and I have high hopes for the team.” 

Coleman made great friendships while playing tennis and will continue to make great memories during the fall season. 

“We all joke around on van rides and during practice,” Ashley said about her and her teammates.

The varsity team practices at Balboa park Monday-Friday. Their current record is 1-9 with 3 matches left to play.  The varsity team has faced Sacred Heart Cathedral, St. Ignatius, Lincoln HS, Lowell HS, Urban, Hillsdale HS, Pinewood, and Mercy Burlingame. The Bay School, St. Ignatius, and Sacred Heart Cathedral are the final opponents of the season. 

On Oct. 15, Riordan faced Presentation High School in San Jose and won their first match 6-2.