Posey puts glove down after 12 seasons

Buster+Posey+retired+after+the+2021+baseball+season+after+12+years+behind+the+plate.+

mlb.com

Buster Posey retired after the 2021 baseball season after 12 years behind the plate.

Santino Woo '22, A&E Editor

After 12 memorable seasons with the San Francisco Giants, 34-year-old Buster Posey announced his retirement from baseball on Nov. 4.

Posey’s announcement came as a bit of a surprise as he recorded one of his greatest seasons ever during the 2020-2021 season. He opted out of the 2019-2020 season due to COVID-19 and to have surgery for his hip. With that much-needed rest and the desire to prove he could still play at an elite level, Posey made his long-awaited return and immediately made his presence felt. 

After having the worst season of his career in 2019, Posey clearly proved the doubters wrong by hitting .304 and having an OPS of .889, the second-highest of his career, propelling him to win the 2021 NL Comeback Player of the Year. 

Posey has definitely stamped his name as a legend in San Francisco, helping to bring three world championships to the city, being named an MVP of the league, and winning several Gold Gloves and Silver Slugger awards. 

Not only was he one of the best catchers in the league, but he was such a role model in how he handled himself.

— Brendan Passanisi-Boullet ’22

Posey’s greatness has brought so many memorable moments in San Francisco and long-time Giants fan and Archbishop Riordan student, Brendan Passanisi-Boullet ’22 shared his thoughts about Posey’s retirement. 

“Buster Posey was just the guy when I was growing up,” he said. “Not only was he one of the best catchers in the league, but he was such a role model in how he handled himself. Not to mention, he was the cornerstone of our team when we won the three World Series in six years, which was the coolest thing ever. So, hearing about his retirement is really sad especially knowing that he definitely still has gas left in the tank but at the end of the day, he has his reasons and all we can do is appreciate the greatness he brought to our city.” 

When he announced his retirement, Posey stated that he endured a lot of pain in his legs during his final season as a result of his catching for so many years. During his life after baseball, he intends to move back to his home in Georgia and spend some quality time with his family. He even hinted at possibly coming back to the Giants organization for a front office or coaching position. 

Buster Posey will always be loved in San Francisco and I think I speak for every San Franciscan when I say, “Thank you, Buster.”