Tennis serves up winning season

Addison Hwang ‘24

Angelina Ning ‘23 and Niyah Spivery ‘23, players on the Varsity tennis team, play in their second to last match, defeating Washington H.S 4-2.

Hoorain Farooq ‘25, Sports Features Editor

With a bigger team and more support than last year, Archbishop Riordan’s girl’s tennis team is excited for a constructive season.

Last year the team faced some challenges, but with practice during the off season and more time to internalize a better foundation, the girls have more motivation for this year’s team.

New to tennis, Niyah Spivey ‘23, is playing in her first season as a member of Riordan’s girls varsity tennis team. With the team still being fairly new she says, “Even though many of us are new players and playing schools a little more established, we are putting our best foot forward and giving it our all everytime we play.” 

Francesca Thommessen ‘24 returns a ball from her opponent at her match against Lincoln High School. The final score was 7-0. (Kianna Hwang ‘24)

Although the team struggles with spirit, Spivey shared a memorable moment where her teammates encouragement and her own motivation helped her through a match. “I was in the last match of the day, everyone was watching, and my team was cheering me on. I was able to end up tying with my opponent after taking her into a 3rd set.”

“My goal is to prepare the tennis program to be accepted into a league, more than likely the WCAL. This season made it one step closer to our goal. Only time will tell.” 

— Raymond Wong, Girls Tennis Coach

Moreover, varsity head Coach, Raymond Wong, who started his coaching career as a JV coach in 1992 for Sacred Heart Cathedral, shared a few hopeful thoughts for the future. “My goal is to prepare the tennis program to be accepted into a league, more than likely the WCAL. Preparing the tennis program to be accepted into the league is a monumental task with a lot of challenges and rewards. This season made it one step closer to our goal. Only time will tell.” 

Nonetheless, with recent wins against Nueva, Lincoln and Mills High School, the team is proud of their progress and improvement. Hopeful for more support, improvement, and a better foundation, the team looks forward to an even more promising season. 

Click on the map for a closer look at where the girls tennis team played this season.