Girls Basketball finishes season ranked #1 in CCS Division IV

Julia Yamsuan ‘25

Aaliyah Dias ’23, Varsity shooting guard, pulls up with a jumpshot, contributing to the win against Maria Carillo, as Kona Dacoscos ’25 waits for a rebound.

Areeshah Farooq ‘23, Features Editor

The third year of the girls’ basketball season at Riordan High School has come to an end, with 6 out of 14 wins. The girls spent the year “battling with every team [they came against],” stated Jeselle Santos ’24. 

Win or lose, Kim Loder, a fan of the girl basketball team, states, “I was extremely impressed by their grit and determination. Even when they were down points, they encouraged and motivated each other.”

As the varsity team captain, Santos added that she “sees the team succeeding and giving every team a fight.”

The girls maintained a positive outlook on their experiences, regardless of the circumstances. Their strength truly laid upon their tight-knit bond and uplifting spirit. 

Along with an uplifting attitude, a value the team upholds is “to always have the next play mentality and always hold each other down when adversity comes along. This year we really built a family spirit,”  Santos emphasized. 

“to always have the next play mentality and always hold each other down when adversity comes along. This year we really built a family spirit,” 

— Jeselle Santos ‘24

The supportive communication and competitive atmosphere the team developed this season display a strong sense of bonding both on and off the court. 

Additionally, this season, the first junior varsity was introduced because more girls were interested in joining Riordan’s basketball program.  

Surrounded by friend’s and family, the three seniors (Left to right: Mia Vaihola ‘23 Aliyah Holmes ‘23 Aliyah Dias ‘23) get ready to play their senior night game against Maria Carrillo.

“I really see this team making it to state because this year’s group of freshmen and sophomores are the hardest-working young ladies I’ve met. I have no doubt in my mind that we will give Riordan another banner in the gym,” Santos added. 

With the addition of athletes to the varsity team, the girls are ready to take it to the next level in the future. Through teamwork and dedication, the team’s passionate about making it to the WCAL next season.