Wrestling team proves to be masters of the mat

Taylor Tran ‘25

Aaron Peakes ’25 swivels to a pin on senior night against the Bellarmine Bells.

Miranda Hernandez ‘24, Staff Reporter

Hearing the word “wrestling” conjures images of takedowns and other physical engagements, but there’s so much more to wrestling than that. 

“The wrestling team just completed their first FULL season since COVID! We began the wrestling season with zero returning varsity wrestlers and finished our season with 23 boys and 9 girls earning their Varsity block,” said Coach Jack Schindler.  

“The men’s varsity team went to seven wrestling tournaments, and the girls went to six. A team highlight was a 39-34 victory over SHC,” he added.  

Jose Aguilar ’23 and Mark Balestier ’23 finished in 3rd place in the WCAL. 

“The women’s program fought hard to capture the first WCAL Women’s Championship banner and finished in 2nd place,” Schindler said. 

In addition 16 wrestlers qualified for the CCS regional meet.  Four girls finished in the top 8 in their weight class in CCS Masters. 

I love wrestling because of how rewarding the hard work is. Practices are tough and it’s constant cardio but it’s so rewarding once you get on the mat and see that your hard work is paying off.

— Sandra Halverson ‘23

The winners were Aaron Peaks ’25, Andrea Aguilar ’24, Marcella Fabre ’23, Jose Aguilar ’23, Katie McGoldrick ’26, Hana Wadlow ’25, Sandra Halverson ’23, and Fredrica Michalchuk ’26. 

Numerous people have been impacted by wrestling, including Andrea Aguilar, Halverson, and Coach Schindler. 

Archbishop Riordan High School is a community where strong bonds are made. Coach Schindler said, “My whole family went to Sacred Heart but I wanted to go to Riordan. Sacred Heart was my home but I always had my eye on Riordan.” 

Many consider wrestling to be the hardest sport because it requires a combination of physical strength, speed, and mental toughness. In the aspect of physical and mental demand, the workouts surpass all the other sports. However, the difficulty of the sport doesn’t stop a person but encourages them to continue. 

Halverson said, “I love wrestling because of how rewarding the hard work is. Practices are tough and it’s constant cardio but it’s so rewarding once you get on the mat and see that your hard work is paying off.” 

Despite the challenges it has, wrestling brings people closer together as a family and impacts many lives. 

Andrea Aguilar ’24, started wrestling her second year of high school and has continued to compete ever since. 

She said, “My brother and his team motivated me to join the wrestling program because I saw how close and caring everyone was to each other.” 

Aguilar added, “I see myself wrestling next year because it helped me be more confident talking to new people and making new friends. But most importantly, I’ll be someone who people can look up to and make them want to give wrestling their all.”

From their match against Sacred Heart Cathedral, Andrea Aguilar puts her opponent in a headlock.

Some people are intimidated to start a sport like wrestling because of how intense it is. However, wrestling is a sport that can be taught when entering the program. 

Halverson said, “You need to know how to play volleyball, and basketball to be able to be on the team but for wrestling I was able to join the team without knowing a single thing.” 

Wrestling opens a whole new world that they never knew could happen, Sandra stated, “My only regret about wrestling is not joining earlier.”