Baseball team comes out swinging

Eddie Monares '19

Matt Yeung ’19 swings during a game for the Crusaders

Brandon Vargas '20, Staff Reporter

Riordan’s baseball program has been great over the past few years. Led by Varsity Head Coach Brandon Ramsey, the program has really trained its players in playing the game.

As of May 5, the ARHS Varsity Squad is 7-15, the Junior Varsity Team is 2-19, and the Freshman Team is 6-13. Add some key games like rivalry games and key performances The ARHS Freshman Team is managed by Tom Harlan ’08. Born in San Bruno, Harlan attended Fresno State University. He was then drafted in 2012 by the Pittsburgh Pirates, where he played for the AA affiliate of the MLB team.

The ARHS Junior Varsity team, headed by Coach Gerald Criswell, has been off to a rough start in the season so far. All- around player Steven Elsner ’20 said that one of his main goals as the JV season ends is to “get a league win.” Even though the season hasn’t been great so far, the Junior Varsity Crusaders look to turn the season around. Elsner also said that “our future is bright” despite the season the JV team experienced.

Some key players to point out on Riordan’s Varsity Squad include Ace Michael Altman ’18 and shortstop Matthew Calhoun ’18. Altman had a key game came against the Serra Padres, tossing a five-hit shutout gem; Altman led the way to victory over the Padres.

Coach Ramsey manages Riordan’s baseball program as well as Varsity. Coach Ramsey noted advantages and disadvantages of his team. Ramsey believes that “the seniors have a very good attitude” and that “this team works very hard” and is “trying to get better.”

On the contrary, Ramsey pointed out that injuries early in the season hurt the team tremendously. Moreover, Ramsey emphasized the importance of practice. One of his mottos is “Game time all the time.”

Furthermore, Coach Ramsey explicates the team’s goals. He said, “We want to make it to CCS playoffs. We haven’t made it in eighteen years; it’s been a long time.” Ramsey also mentions that “it’s not about wins and losses, but it’s about how we play the game.”

Click here for Riordan’s Varsity Baseball website.