Baseball team springs into action with passion

Ethan Ly '26

Mason Lui ’23 gathers his strength, and throws the ball with unrivaled velocity and precision.

Rachel Kavanagh '24, Staff Reporter

Springtime. The season of flowers blooming and new beginnings, but best of all, it’s the season of baseball. 

Speaking of new beginnings, this year the baseball team has hired a new coach, Brian Ceinar to build a new foundation for the team.  

“I’m hoping I can take what [Coach Ramsey] has built here and help it grow and gain more respect,” said Ceinar.

With the 2023 season coming to an end, the team has shown steady improvement as the weeks have progressed. They held good matches in their most recent games against other schools in the area compared to the beginning of the season. 

Although they’ve struggled with wins in WCAL league games they’ve won almost every non-league game, and had the most success on the field against teams outside of their division. 

“You’re alright, get the next one” is the motto of the season

— Brady Nemes '24

Known to be a tight-knit group with good morale available to lift each other up, the team has worked on supporting and holding each other accountable, including a Kangaroo Court every two to three weeks held by the captains. 

With that, the coach commented on how he had felt surprisingly welcomed by the community since their first meeting. Not knowing what to expect being the new coach, he was thankful to be embraced by the team.

Looking at stats, Sebastian Eslner ’23 has an ERA of 0.59 and 37 strikeouts so far, but an overall record of an 11-15 win-loss rate for the team. Looking to the future, the team along with the coach eagerly looks ahead for improvement.

Unfortunately, poor weather and player injuries have proven to be the team’s biggest struggle but “We look at the small wins and build off of them,” said coach Ceinar. 

Thankfully, the spirit of the team has remained through the challenging season. 

“We might not have the best record but, in all honesty, we’ve come together better as a family,” said Luis Gomez ’24. 

According to multiple players, Ceinar is a great source of inspiration for the team this season, creating a “forgiving environment which helps us gain confidence,” said Nemes. 

Impacting the program on not only the Varsity level, but the JV and Freshman teams as well, players said he brings a new energy to the field. 

He plans on focusing more on aspects of communal involvement throughout the program and as the years progress because as Coach Ceinar said, “Their success is what tomorrow brings.