Rising stars journey toward triumph with team unity

Paul Stevens '08

Don Tsang ’23 extends his arms, and with a masterful serve, sends the ball soaring through the air.

Jaecee Cantiller '24, Staff Reporter

As the 2022-2023 Varsity boys tennis team’s season came to an end, the team finished in a better position than they were before, having their strong bond close the year with a smile. 

With both new and returning players this season, the team had much improvement on their teamwork. Although it had a slow start for players to blend together, the team has bonded both on and off the court.

“We are in a tough league and no matter what we are able to push through and always hold our heads up high,” said Coach Paul Stevens ’08. 

Their strength of uplifting emotions allows them to persevere whether that be through a loss or a win. 

Through the consistent push, this team has persisted, and they still faced many challenges. 

Despite the weather conditions that impacted the team’s performance, every season, the team was still able to beat the odds and work together to improve and achieve success.

— Khang Nguyen '23

Being present, focused, and passionate helped the improvement of the team’s performance.

This season will further impact the future of the Varsity boys tennis team, as every player has personally improved through the work they went through. They secured first place in the Freedom High School Tennis Tournament and won a couple of games in the WCAL. 

This season was a build-up towards the strong spirit and there is a bright future waiting for the team.

“As a senior, I’m pleased that our team is getting better than ever and somehow all the members have dedication and ambition in all the games. Every member of the team contributes to what we are today and I believe there’s a bright future in the team,” Don Tsang ’23 said. 

Although the seniors are leaving, the players and coaches hope to strive for the best outcome in the future, building on the seniors’ positive mentality, as they are hungry for victories. 

Stevens said, “We have a lot of skill throughout the team and it will only get better!”