COVID or not, musicians find a way to reach fans

Photo by ©Adobe

COVID hasn’t stopped musicians from reaching their fans.

Marisa Hamilton ’22, Religion Editor

“So, go ahead and drive me insane

Baby, run your mouth, I still wouldn’t change

Being stuck with you, stuck with you, stuck with you,”

Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber harmonize. The doo-wop inspired track, “Stuck With U” debuted No. 1 on Billboard top 100 after its release on May 8, 2020. 

Not only are pop artists writing and recording songs from home, they are also offering online shows over live stream too. Five time Grammy winner, Billie Eilish, recently announced her live stream concert taking place on October 24 since her North American tour was cancelled. 

Crusader Band Director Kyle Hildebrant plans on hosting virtual performances for Riordan’s band as well. “It gives students here a chance to continue to perform for our community in some way. It’s an outreach to say we’re still doing something, we’re still active in music.”

However, local bands and singers are struggling financially, because they have fewer opportunities to promote their new music. 

Before March, musicians could perform songs in various clubs, restaurants, and concert venues, but since large social gatherings are currently unsafe, workers onstage and behind the scenes are unable to do their jobs.  

Mark Hamilton ’80 and Garrett Shelton of Apple Music Metadata Ops explain the specifics of COVID-19’s impact on the music industry. 

“Dozens of people are involved to help put on a concert that are not the musicians–hundreds if it’s a stadium concert. Hair, makeup, costumes, dancers, backup singers. All of them have to find other work,” emphasized Hamilton. 

To show support for small musicians and others in the music industry during quarantine, learn about the legislation bills that help entertainers, or donate to the National Endowment for the Arts, MusiCares, or the Art Relief Project. 

Shelton concluded, “The biggest thing people can do to support musicians right now, I mean very honestly, is to stay home. The sooner everybody stays home and stays safe, wears a mask wherever in public, the sooner we can all go back and see live music.”