New program introduces students to biomedical science

Noah David '22

Brayden Mulqueen ’25 works on the biotech unit, where students learn to micropipette and do gel electrophoresis to run DNA and compare banding patterns for the BioMed class.

Elijah Calip ’22

In a time when a pandemic has ravaged every community on the planet, the need for biomedical science has never been more important.

The field of biomedical science bridges the fields of biology and medicine in order to discover or deepen knowledge about the human body or to discover new technologies to improve the current systems in place within the medical field.

Especially in the 21st century, humanity has ventured this far in time in part to the help of the developments made within this field of science.

Archbishop Riordan High School has recognized the importance of such a field stating that “A myriad of medical mysteries face today’s scientific community, and now more than ever the world needs innovative and proactive thinkers to create a better tomorrow.”

Beginning in the fall of 2021, Riordan now includes the Biomedical Science Program alongside the Engineering Program. This new addition hopes to allow prospective students to engage in the disciplines that biomedical scientists use to discover new ways to tackle the biological and medical issues that humans face to this day.

Students interested in the Biomedical Science Program will follow a curriculum based on Project Lead the Way. The company is dedicated to enhancing classroom experiences through engaging students in certain fields and disciplines.

In the field of Biomedical Science, Project Lead the Way stated, “By immersing students in activities like practicing suturing and constructing body structures from clay, PLTW Biomedical Science empowers students to build knowledge and skills in biomedical science, as well as in-demand, transportable skills like problem solving, critical and creative thinking, communication, and collaboration.”

The curriculum will be focused on four disciplines ranging from Principles of Biomedical Science, Human Body Systems, Medical Interventions, and Biomedical Innovation.

Isabella (Ella) Torrea ’25 said, “I wanted to discover more career paths that I want to maybe do because I am interested in being a pharmacist right now.”

Instructor Carol Pineda said, “I’m excited Riordan is offering a class where students can step into the role of forensic investigator, medical surgeon, nurse, microbiologist, geneticist, biomedical engineer and more! It’s the application of science integrated into a project based learning course.”

Riordan plans to engage students in these disciplines through the following courses: Biology Honors, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Physics, Principles of Biomedical Science, Human Body Systems, Innovations in BioMed, and a Senior Year Capstone Project, which will combine all the knowledge the students have gained.

The Biomedical Sciences Program will be open to students applying for the 2022 to 2023 school year.