‘Book of Will’ debuts under new drama director

Nathan Loeffler-Malatesta ’23

Marina Viray ’24, Siobhan LaRocca ’23, and Ismael Elkarra ’24 performed in the fall play, “The Book of Will,” last month.

Edward Ramos '23, Campus News Editor

From Nov. 17 to 20, Riordan’s drama and theater department (newly directed) performed “The Book of Will” by Lauren Gunderson. 

Prior to the start of the school year, the program saw a change in directors as Greg Callaghan, a Santa Clara University alumnus, took over the program. 

In an interview with Callaghan, he expressed that his goal is “always to empower the students [he] works with to own the show and to be proud of their work.” 

Choosing “The Book of Will” was a perfect example of his teaching philosophy because the diversity of characters gives each student a unique and vital role in the play. 

Placed in 1623, “The Book of Will” explores John Heminges (played by Lance Givant ’23), Henry Condell (played by Daniel Barrett ’24), and more, eagerly searching to preserve the works of William Shakespeare after his death. 

In hopes of publishing the First Folio, the cast performed a number of scenes that all portrayed the sharp and humorable writings of Gunderson. In order to bring more life to the play, each character also seemed to have a personal roadblock that hindered their participation in helping to “save” Shakespeare’s work. 

Friendship, loyalty, and honor are all found within the writing because the relationships between characters and the tension to maintain Shakespeare’s legacy was capitalized on through the emotion portrayed by the actors.

Sean Reyes ’25, member of the audience, mentioned the auditory aspect saying “the scenes were good but the emotion was great too.”

Prior to the Book of Will, Aidan Jantz ‘24 (playing William Jaagard), never performed in front of a big crowd and claims “It [the play] has made me feel a lot more confident in myself and my abilities”

The next performance in the school year is “Fiddler on the Roof,” planned to premier March 23 to 26, also being directed by Callaghan. He states “Auditions are open to every member of the Riordan Community and I hope we get a big turnout.” 

More information regarding the musical will be released in upcoming issues