Respiratory syncytial virus cases rise among children

CDC.gov

The recommended course of action from the Centers for Disease Control.

Talisha Flores ’24, Staff Reporter

Hospitals have remained under intense pressure after the rise of respiratory illnesses amongst children. With the mix of Covid variants, the flu season, and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), pediatric units are seeing an overwhelming rise of young patients every day.

While some children deal with the after effects of having COVID-19, others are feeling the influx of widespread RSV transmissions. The younger demographic are not the only people experiencing this uprise of infectious illnesses. Adults and teens alike have endured immense damage to their health from all three infections.

“This reminds me of the times I’d see a rise of COVID cases all over the news a couple years ago. I sometimes worry that we may be seeing another era of wearing masks and keeping distance,” said Jamil Flores ’23.

The flu virus is able to evolve and spread quickly. Students and teachers alike worry whether or not this can be contained before the next school year. 

Colleen O’Rourke, a science instructor at Archbishop Riordan said, “The stress around schooling right now is really high as many students and families struggle with learning loss and recovering from the main surges of the pandemic, all of which could also be contributing to the rise in flu and RSV cases.” 

She added, “The important thing to keep in mind is to take care of yourself and keep up to date on vaccinations.”