Unity Mass Promotes Juniors to Upperclassmen

Julian Molina-Lopez ’20, Steven Elsner ’20, Steven Rissotto ’20, Brandon Vargas ’20 pose with their rings

Karl Vanuska '19, Opinion Editor

This past Friday, Riordan held its annual Unity Mass, in order to celebrate the juniors receiving their class rings, and being recognized as upperclassmen.

The junior ring ceremony is a major stepping stone for upperclassman.

First came the mass, in which all students attended. But a change in this year’s ring ceremony was that the rings were not  handed out during the mass, but afterwards in the chapel.

For awhile, it was common for the juniors to shake the hand of a Riordan alumnus staff member, receive their ring, and then walk across the stage.

But this year, the distribution of the rings took place in the chapel on the second floor. It was more personalized, because the parents got a better view of their sons and could immediately take pictures of this proud moment in their high school career.

This is a long standing tradition in Riordan’s history, as evidenced by the many alumni teachers and staff members wearing their rings.

The school has kept the same design on the ring since the start, with every class ring having the front of Riordan carved into the side of the ring.

But it can be personalized with the small details, such as having the student’s name engraved into the ring or the block R carved into the stone.

This a moment that is treasured by many students and alumni as one of their favorite memories of Riordan.