Velasco answers calling to priesthood

Jimmy Velasco ’17

Jimmy Velasco ’17 (center) with Bishop Thomas Daly of Spokane (left), and Fr. Patrick Summerhays, Director of Vocations for the Archdiocese.

Zachary Phillips ’19, News Editor

Instantly, after his creation of the highly acclaimed show, “Breaking Down the Bible,” Jimmy Velasco ’17 became a celebrity in the Riordan community. But Jimmy’s theology career didn’t stop there. He is now pursuing his passion of the Christian faith at the Bishop White Seminary in Washington.

Velasco credits Riordan as a major contributor to why he chose the path to priesthood. He said, “Campus ministry helped me know myself more, especially LIFE team, interacting with teachers and seeing the vocation in me. My pastor, Father Mike Quinn saying I’d be the priest at Riordan one day inspired me.”

Velasco was heavily influenced by all of his peers and educators who told him multiple times that he would be a fantastic priest.

One of the goals of a Riordan education is to help foster a spiritual life in students.

Over the years, Riordan has been very successful in this mission, and Velasco is an example of how beneficial this kind of education could be.

In regards to his favorite aspects of Riordan, he said, “All the relationships and brotherhoods I made with other students was a huge support system for me. In addition,the faculty and staff were extremely helpful to me in my faith journey, but my favorite part of the whole school was campus ministry. It really helped me discover what I love to do, spread the Christian faith.”

High school is a time where many students struggle to hold on to a spiritual life. But in these times of change and growing up, Velasco’s faith flourished. Velasco’s advice to young people is, “Don’t be afraid to discuss your spirituality with those who are close to you. Be open with your faith journey. Always have a deep prayer life. You can develop your faith life by taking part in events like mass or adoration. If you are considering the priesthood, talk to other priests.”

Over the years, 20 Riordan graduates have entered the priesthood, and 10 have become brothers.