Math + contest = winners

Anthony Oropeza ’18, Staff Writer

The math contest allows students the opportunity to show off their math skills and compete against top schools in California. Anyone who is interested or wants to participate is welcomed.

Roughly 50 percent of students in a math class participate in the math contest, while most are from Honors or AP classes.

The California Math League starts in October and holds competitions once a month. The test is 30 minutes long, and the students are allowed a graphing calculator.

Department Chair of Mathematics, Mary Ann Datoc, said, “The contest challenges each student’s ability to solve difficult problems that usually are not seen in a textbook. The questions test the students’ ability to solve probabilities, patterns, and be able to think critically.”

In February, several students competed in the annual American Mathematic Competition. Students have to answer 25 questions within an 80 minute time period. Similar to the California Math League, the questions are extremely out of the ordinary, and really challenge the student to think out of the box.

Lei Chen ’18 is currently in first place. Chen scored high in the American Mathematic Competition, which granted him a spot in the second round of the AIME (American Invitational Mathematics Exam).

Chen said, “The math contest is great because it offers training and experience to learn the different types of math problems that usually are not seen.”

Keye Li ’18 is close behind. Last year, Li almost advanced to the third round, but missed by only four points.

Results are out and posted around campus.