Community embraces McGarry as he retires from teaching

Jameson Datoc '23

Zachary Jones ’23, Angelo Orellana ’23, Jacob Kleppin ’23, Valente Espino ’23, AJ Buban ’23, and Ricky Corvera ’23 gather around Mike McGarry, commemorating his career.

Aiden Pavon ‘25, Staff Reporter

ALS is a disease that affects around two in every 100,000 people each year. Unfortunately, one of those people is Riordan mathematics instructor  Mike McGarry. In recent months, McGarry’s ALS has become progressively worse and to the dismay of many, he will have to give up teaching.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is a “progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord,” according to als.org. It is also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, named after the Yankees player who retired from baseball in 1939.

McGarry has been with the Riordan family since 2021 and wasted no time creating friendships and memories with students and faculty members alike.

“Every single time I walk into the faculty lounge, regardless of who’s there, I’m walking into a room of friends,” McGarry said.

Teachers surround Mike McGarry on his last day, commemorating his bright character, his wisdom, and his teaching. (Joseph Zuloaga ’23)

McGarry previously taught at other schools such as Impact Academy of Art & Technology in Hayward, Lick-Wilmerding in San Francisco, and the Athenian school in Danville. But he believes that Riordan is special, stating that Riordan is a “one of a kind place” and that “people that are here want to be here”

For months, McGarry continued to teach despite his ALS and always seemed to be positive no matter his mood. For a while, his ALS only affected one of his hands, which made it difficult for him to teach, but he managed to do it anyway. The disease suddenly spread to both hands and later it became nearly impossible to teach once he was not able to hold his head up.

Student Marco Romero ’25 said McGarry is always in a light mood, no matter the situation. “He is very professional and even with setbacks he always manages to lighten the mood, no matter what vibe of the day.”

Teachers are inspired and uplifted by McGarry.

One of the most positive and optimistic people I’ve ever met.

— Kevin Estrada '00

“One of the most positive and optimistic people I’ve ever met,” said English teacher Kevin Estrada ’00. “He just has such a wonderful spirit, he’s very kind, and he’s always full of wisdoms. And I think he’s a great addition to this school and he fit the Riordan community like a glove.”

Riordan will miss McGarry for his kind, understanding, and uplifting spirit, which is so contagious to everyone around him. The Crusader family will never forget what he brought to the Riordan community, even in the short time he was here.