Mayer Family Field finds funding

Will Miller ’20 and Jason Quinones ’19 are ready on defense. This is the last year the baseball team will play on a grass field at home. Thanks to many generous gifts and grants, construction on the new Mayer Family Field will begin after this baseball season ends.

Owen Murphy ’19

Steven Rissotto ’20, Sports Editor

Archbishop Riordan High School’s dreams of owning a new multi-sports field complex are coming true.

After many years of raising money, the Carl Gellert and Celia Berta Foundation chipped in a $750,000 grant that will go towards the funding of the newfield, which will be named The Mayor Family Field.

Director of Development John Ring told the SF Examiner, “They were so committed to getting this done that they gave the project a half million, so that gave the project some life.”

The field renovations will include replacing the grass with artificial turf, remodeling the press box, improving the grand stand, and adding new baseball facilities. This is one of the biggest gifts in the history of Archbishop Riordan High School, made possible by donations.

Although the current field has been the location of many great moments and memories, the wear of six decades has become obvious to the public eye. The right field

system is close to retirement, and the drainage is poor. The switch to the turf design is meant to make maintenance easier and more durable. This switch also saves the school $50,000 a year.

This renovation follows the Kevin Restani Court remodel, the painting of the school, and the addition of the Makerspace and Auto Shop.

The field takes up 20 percent of the school’s campus and impacts 100 percent of the student body. Baseball, football, soccer, and lacrosse are notable sports played there; the famous Crusader Camp also uses it productively. The marching band practices on it, and the Crusader Games are held there.

It’s an understatement to say that it’s a big deal to the community of Riordan, as many weeknights and weekdays are spent on the field playing passionately and having fun with friends. The Mayer Family Field will officially break ground shortly after the 2019 baseball season ends.