Elected of officers enthusiastic for new year

Cole Anderson ’22, Staff Writer

With the 2019 school year coming to an end, it was time to elect a new student parliament.

The election was held on April 24, when students led into the auditorium to hear the speeches from the candidates about why they should be elected for School Captain, School Vice Captain, Vice Captain of Spirit, or School Captain of Programming.

The candidates for School Vice Captain, Vice Captain of Spirit, and Vice Captain of Programming all ran unopposed, so the only competition was between Michael Gray ’20 and Zachary Phillips ’20 for the School Captain position.

Both candidates pleaded their cases and tried to convince the entire school why they should be the School Captain for the next school year.

Immediately following these speeches, the students were dismissed back to their block three classes to vote. All the votes were tallied, and it was later announced that the 2019-2020 student parliament would be Michael Gray ’20 as School Captain, Aidan Murtagh ’20 as School Vice Captain, Cheyne Fernandez ’20 as Vice Captain of Programming, and JT Torrea ’21 as School Captain of Spirit.

As the house program at Riordan progresses, the Student Parliament is planning on improvements from past years to make next year the best it can be.

Students are always encouraged to run for positions because of the growing house system and the numerous ideas they can contribute to Riordan.