The Crusader staff wins big at Anaheim convention

The Crusader members in attendance at the Anaheim convention.

Ian Martin ’20, Religion and Environmental Editor

Every year, the National JEA/NSPA Journalism Convention takes place in a different US City, one in the fall and another in the spring, full of study sessions that help teach young, aspiring journalists useful tips and tricks about their future profession.

The 2019 spring convention was held at the Anaheim Hilton, where thousands of high school journalists came from across the country to learn, connect with others, and compete.

The staff members of The Crusader who attended the trip presented a session on creating headlines that will catch the attention of the audience while being creative as well.

Adviser Susan Sutton taught the basics, and then students in the audience were given mock stories for which they had to write headlines. The Crusader staff members chose the winners, who received prizes.

“I thought it was a lot of fun. I thought the audience was engaged and having fun learning about us, our newspaper, and winning some prizes,” said Steven Rissotto ’20.

Sutton said, “The headline session was my favorite part of the convention because my students were center stage and students from other schools looked to them as experts. It was a proud moment.”

The Friday write-offs are where students compete in a timed setting to write a specific type of article on a topic that is revealed on-site. This year, Riordan had three students recognized for their outstanding work. Rissotto won an Honorable Mention for commentary writing, Harrick Wu ’19 won Honorable
Mention for News Writing for the second year in a row, and Eddie Monares ’19 was awarded a certificate of Excellence for sports writing.

“I was decently surprised and it was an honor to win the award considering it was on-the-spot writing and I didn’t think I was gonna win,” said Monares.

Beyond these achievements, the Riordan Journalism Quiz Bowl Team tied for third place out of 30 teams, the best Riordan has ever done at this event.

The members of the quiz bowl team were Owen Murphy ’19, Rissotto, Monares, and Wu.

Murphy said, “I am very proud of how well we did. I believe that we will have more success in the future. We will continue to improve, and it is definitely within the realm of possibility that we will be able to one day win the entire competition.”

Tim Reardon, principal of Archbishop Riordan, said, “The success of our journalism program is one of our top marketing tools. Eighth graders interested in writing have no better option in the Bay Area than Ms. Sutton’s journalism program at Archbishop Riordan High School.”