Address change causes delivery dilemmas

Michael Ortega Portillo ’21

Since the name change of Phelan Avenue to Frida Kahlo Way, deliveries to campus have gone missing.

Christopher Murray ’22, Staff Reporter

With the new address change for Archbishop Riordan High School, last year came a few difficulties.

Last year, after the San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted to rename Phelan Avenue Frida Kahlo Way, the disruption of deliveries and general confusion began almost immediately.

When the address was changed from 175 Phelan Ave. to 175 Frida Kahlo Way, delivery drivers either misplaced packages or failed to deliver them altogether because they didn’t know whether the address was on Phelan or Frida Kahlo, even though the street signs clearly display the new name in large font with Phelan in a smaller font in parentheses.

One major problem could be Archbishop Riordan doesn’t have a visible address in the front of the school showing 175 Frida Kahlo.

English and journalism teacher Susan Sutton has had two school-relatedd packages either go missing or deemed “undeliverable” by Amazon.

“In April, a huge box of supplies for the national journalism convention was marked ‘delivered,’ but the package was nowhere on campus,” Sutton said.

“With only days before the convention, I had to re-order and have the supplies sent to my house to ensure delivery. Fortunately, the package arrived in time, and I was refunded for the first box, which never materialized.”

That was not the last time. “It happened again this year,” Sutton said, “when I ordered reporter’s notebooks for The Crusader staff. The driver could not nd the address, so the box went back to Amazon.”

Depending on the driver, some deliver the package, and some don’t.

The new school year has arrived, and the confusion continues. The school’s envelopes and letterhead still carry the Phelan Avenue address, which is allowed for five years after a street name change.

Also, with the new school year in full swing, the school hosts SAT and SSAT tests on Saturdays, and before a recent test, there were about 10 families asking Receptionist Cara Garcia to confirm the location.

Teachers and students have also had difficulty with Lyft and Uber finding the pickup spot, noting that the GPS directs drivers to stop on Judson Avenue.

President Andrew Currier noted that there used to be an address sign in front and that it was removed years ago. While there are no definite plans to replace it any time soon, he is open to the possibility of increasing the school’s visibility and presence on the street formerly known as Phelan Avenue.