New clubs foster cause for change, brotherhood

The Sailing Club is new to Riordan

Logan Estrada ’22 and Jordan Noeuku ’21, Staff Reporters

This year, a few new clubs were introduced into Riordan at the annual Club Rush. Here is a closer look at them, and their impacts on the Riordan community.

First, the Veteran’s Alliance Club, founded this year by Alex Ruivivar ’20, focuses on supporting our armed forces. This club is also open to any donations that can help fund the military services.

Next, the Homework Club. The name is pretty straight forward. The club gives students the opportunity to have time to interact with and help each other with homework. The club is open to all grades.

Crusaders for Life, a club started by seniors Adam Kolokotrones, Aidan Murtagh, Zachary Phillips, and Religious Studies teacher Joshua Keeney, supports the Christian philosophy of pro-life, including the rights of the unborn–those in the womb from conception to birth. This club also supports movements for this cause, such as the Walk For Life campaign, which also supports pro-life. They meet every Friday at lunch.

The YKNOT Mentality Club, a club founded by counselor and coach David Lin, focuses on personal empowerment and positive thoughts. Through the club, members can work on targeting the areas that can help them become better people in their thoughts, actions, and words. The club meets every Tuesday in the lecture hall during lunch.

The Sailing Club was started by experienced students Declan Donovan ’22 and Jameson Datoc ’23. They also created a racing team and competed with Howard Kim. In their first race, out of the Golden Gate Yacht Club, they finished in 2nd place, which helped boost interest and raise spirits. The Sailing Club meets every Wednesday in room 103 at 12:30.

“If anyone’s interested, they could check it out. Right now were are learning about different boats and strategies,” said Alex Datoc, coordinator of the club.

The Golf Club was started with the purpose of newcomers being taught how to become masters of the green and have fun. This club is also run by Datoc with the assistance of Social Sciences teacher David Elu. “Golf is a gentleman’s game of etiquette, respect, and sportsmanship,” Datoc said. Golf Club meets every Monday in room 219 at 12:30.

Seeing a resurgence is the Robotics Club. With the revival of the club, technology continues to have a great influence on students. In this club, students expand their knowledge as they learn skills such as how to build robots and resolve technological problems.

Elijah Sebastian Calip ’22 said, “I joined the Robotics Club because I felt it would be fun and exciting to make a piece of metal actually move around and complete tasks. It might help me decide what I want to do later in my life.”